Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone have a SHTF (stuff hits the fan) gun?

Started by lightsoutcalls, August 10, 2011, 11:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightsoutcalls

A couple of recent threads got me wondering if anyone else has a SHTF gun?  Whatcha got?

Yugoslavian SKS (7.62x39) with Tapco furniture.  It has a Leapers 4x illuminate reticle scope on it now.  My 18 year old daughter loves to shoot it.  It's no tack driver, but would bust pumkins at 50-70 yards all day long.  I did some mods to make it compliant once I removed the bayonet mount and grenade launcher.  I didn't see that either of those would be much use...
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

Deputy 14

Colt M16 A2 Commando with 11 in barrel, eotech, and select fire capability.

Basser69

Sks and mak 90 both in 7.62 X 39 and Colt AR 15 and Ruger mini 14 both in .223

Turkey Trot

I think this Les Bair would be a good choice.  It has a .30 bore, can send big lead downrange as opposed to 55-65 grains, is a semi-auto with purported bolt action accuracy, has good mag capacity, and can smite a "zombie" with one shot.  Carlos Hathcock and others have demonstrated the effectiveness of the 7.62 NATO for decades.

http://www.lesbaer.com/UltMonolith-SWAT.html
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

lightsoutcalls

That's mighty nice, but likely WAY beyond my budget.  My SKS has maybe $500 total in it.

savduck

Got tons of guns that would do, but I think a little differently than some people on this. I want something that is quiet, agile, accurate, easy to find ammo for and able to do most things. Im not going to call attention to myself, Im going into stealth mode.

If it hits the fan.....Im taking my bolt action scoped .22 with iron sights in case the scope ever fails. I know how to build a silencer for it. I figured I could load a back pack and carry several thousands rounds of ammo and shoot you in the head while in hiding from 75 to 100 yards. You wouldnt hear me, or see me, and while the bad guys buddies are figuring it out...another shot is already on the way. If they sort of figure it out....Im already making my move and getting set up again for another shot.

Georgia Boy

2INCHHOOKS

Quote from: savduck on August 10, 2011, 05:29:28 PM
Got tons of guns that would do, but I think a little differently than some people on this. I want something that is quiet, agile, accurate, easy to find ammo for and able to do most things. Im not going to call attention to myself, Im going into stealth mode.

If it hits the fan.....Im taking my bolt action scoped .22 with iron sights in case the scope ever fails. I know how to build a silencer for it. I figured I could load a back pack and carry several thousands rounds of ammo and shoot you in the head while in hiding from 75 to 100 yards. You wouldnt hear me, or see me, and while the bad guys buddies are figuring it out...another shot is already on the way. If they sort of figure it out....Im already making my move and getting set up again for another shot.

I would have to totally agree SAV...  I myself have a weapon of choice that already have tons of ammo for and a little bag to grab and run with.. this weapon is a true tack drivin fool set up for kill shots to head without being seen , heard, or anything of that nature... Hope it will never come to this but I will protect my family at all costs......

stone road turkey calls

Anyone who has the right gun is not going to show it here.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

Kylongspur88

...."if I need an M16 there will be plenty laying around"...

Wingbone

Quote from: savduck on August 10, 2011, 05:29:28 PM

I was afraid to post my .22 SR22 as my Zombie gun, but I'm right with you man. Ammo is cheap and available EVERYWHERE. As for the silencer, you can put one on it now if you pay for the tax stamp. Pretty quiet and causes some odd looks from company when you have it propped up in the corner of the room. Right on, i'm glad i'm not alone. Lol
In Hoc Signo Vinces

savduck

Georgia Boy

socalturkeyman

Booby traps and long rage rifle fire! thats why I would run to the hills....and hide!
A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

kdog

I have a couple of Hi-Point carbines that are great for blowing off rounds and pretty accurate out to 100 yds.Certainly not tack drivers but really fun to shoot and won't break the bank.You can get these for around $300,,,,I have one in .45acp and 9mm.My kids really like shooting them too : )

One in 9mm

And one in .45

lightsoutcalls

Obviously I hope life never comes to the point where there is a need to use a weapon against another individual.  The shape this country is in makes a person wonder at times. 

My intent was not to prod anyone into showing their trump card, and I completely understand the mindset of not posting pics.  I'd love to let the SKS have a chance to down a hog or two and my daughter loves to shoot it.  She put one of her "dirty bird" targets from the SKS in her binder cover for school last year.  It made a great coversation starter (and also a deterent for wannabes) with the boys.   ::)

Again, my intent was not to go deep on survival philosophy.  Sorry if the thread stirred things better left "in the closet". 

mcgruff1533

I have a DPMS AR-15 that I've configured as a patrol rifle for my job.     It has a YHM free floating rail, FSB delete with a low profile gas block in it's place (hidden inside the YHM rail).

Streamlight TLR-1 LED weapon light, vertical foregrip, MagPul MBUS folding flip up sights, and a Burris FF II red dot mounted to a YHM riser rail.

I have plans to upgrade the trigger, and replace the rear grip with a MagPul MOE unit that will allow me to store an extra bolt and firing pin right with the gun.    I would also like to swap the FFII to my Mossberg 535 for hunting, and add a low magnification scope to the rifle.