turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Striker Wood & Makers Suggestion

Started by Sir-diealot, August 29, 2024, 01:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Best woods for scratch boxes? I think I like a medium to large sized scratch box due to my hand issues if that makes a difference. Also a longer striker is nice but not necessary at all. Also maker suggestions, I already have 2 from S&S Calls 2 from Cypress Creek Turkey Calls, 1 from Lee Bowles (RIP) and old Rhodes scratchbox, Ernie Fetters Scratch Box with 2 Strikers, 2 from David Metcalf, 1 from Mike Lapp, 1 from Spring Creek and two no name calls and one I wish I could get a replacement striker for but the guy is no longer around. I know I had talked to somebody here about one I think there was something about Monkey in the name but can't recall. Oh I also have 2 from R.A. Dunfee and one from Tim Fralick.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

greentrout

You already have a very fine collection with calls from some of the best making them! To add some who build in the Cost and Davis style I have and would add Tim Bullock, Bill Henkel, Josh Farley, Wray Stitcher, and Lonnie Gilbert. Some I don't have yet that enough people have recommended are Scott Basehore and Lamar Williams. And it may not be the size you like, but no scratch box collection is complete without a Super Yelper!

As far as woods, it's going to come down to the sound you like. I tend to prefer a butternut sound board. Also have some in mahogany, walnut, cedar, cherry, and poplar. I think most makers will work with you if you ask for a longer striker. Final tuning needs to be matched to a striker so they will work that up for you. I will post a picture of some at lunch today.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

greentrout

Here's a shot of some of my favorite scratchboxes that are what I would call medium to big. Top row is Tim Bullock chestnut with walnut and Ernie Fetters Osage with walnut.
Second row is Wray Stitcher zebrawood/wenge with cedar and Josh Farley purpleheart with butternut. Third row is Lonnie Gilbert bloodwood with butternut and Bill Henkel ebony with butternut. Bottom is going to be hard to find but amazing if you can find one. Turkey Trotter by Charlie Trotter hackberry with walnut.

I will say a slate striker is worth having if you can find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: greentrout on August 29, 2024, 10:05:35 AMYou already have a very fine collection with calls from some of the best making them! To add some who build in the Cost and Davis style I have and would add Tim Bullock, Bill Henkel, Josh Farley, Wray Stitcher, and Lonnie Gilbert. Some I don't have yet that enough people have recommended are Scott Basehore and Lamar Williams. And it may not be the size you like, but no scratch box collection is complete without a Super Yelper!

As far as woods, it's going to come down to the sound you like. I tend to prefer a butternut sound board. Also have some in mahogany, walnut, cedar, cherry, and poplar. I think most makers will work with you if you ask for a longer striker. Final tuning needs to be matched to a striker so they will work that up for you. I will post a picture of some at lunch today.

Like the sound of the purple heart I think it was 40th anniversary Super Yelper call. I will look into the other ones, thanks.

Quote from: greentrout on August 29, 2024, 02:15:27 PM
Here's a shot of some of my favorite scratchboxes that are what I would call medium to big. Top row is Tim Bullock chestnut with walnut and Ernie Fetters Osage with walnut.
Second row is Wray Stitcher zebrawood/wenge with cedar and Josh Farley purpleheart with butternut. Third row is Lonnie Gilbert bloodwood with butternut and Bill Henkel ebony with butternut. Bottom is going to be hard to find but amazing if you can find one. Turkey Trotter by Charlie Trotter hackberry with walnut.

I will say a slate striker is worth having if you can find one.

The Tim Fralick is a smaller call but sounds very nice and is easy to play, I am just thinking on my big clumsy hands. The Lee Bowles is a larger call but feels very nice in the hands. Having busted up hands makes them very selective, I have a couple of Mr. Harold Fowler strikers and they sound wonderful but hurt me to use as the stems are so thin, so calls that are not the norm I try to find different sizes.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

The Lung

Jeff White makes a great sounding scratcher. You already mentioned R.A. Dunfee, whom I think makes some of the best. Last I'll add is Baseshore. Those 3 gentlemen I believe make the best sounding that I own
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

Sir-diealot

Quote from: The Lung on August 29, 2024, 07:10:33 PMJeff White makes a great sounding scratcher. You already mentioned R.A. Dunfee, whom I think makes some of the best. Last I'll add is Baseshore. Those 3 gentlemen I believe make the best sounding that I own
Thank you much, I have heard some nice things about his calls.

John Koenig:

greentrout

Here's a Jeff White scratcher. It's a little on the smaller side of medium I would venture. It's a walnut with butternut.
You may try a Lonnie Gilbert. His strikers are some of the bigger I have and the box should be easy enough for you to hold on to as well.

Greg Massey

I've always wanted one from Bob Fulcher and Buster Duvall gobbler and hen Butt Kickers ...  Buster makes one with a gobbler sound in the Butt Kicker...

greentrout

Marvin (tarheel) makes a scratcher with a handle that would be an option as well! He can really nail the gobbler sounds too.

Will

I'm new to scratch boxes and Mr. Marvin built my first one for me. It's a gobbler scratcher and I'm not sure of the woods but I think the back board on the box is cedar. It's taken me a while but I can yelp really good with it. I can get some nice deep gobbler yelps.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: greentrout on August 30, 2024, 12:00:53 PM
Here's a Jeff White scratcher. It's a little on the smaller side of medium I would venture. It's a walnut with butternut.
You may try a Lonnie Gilbert. His strikers are some of the bigger I have and the box should be easy enough for you to hold on to as well.

Thank you, I recognize his pattern in the bottom right corner as well as his name. I will look into Lonnie Gilbert as well. Quick question though, does he pronounce the last part of his name as Bear or Bert as in Ernie and Bert? Hate addressing a person improperly. Thanks.

John Koenig: