OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

An "Uncomfortable" Subject

Started by Neill_Prater, August 09, 2024, 07:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

This has nothing to do with turkey hunting, but it is important.

One of my best friends, 62 years old, in great shape, still employed putting in 50 plus hours a week, had a physical back in June. Since he had never had a colonoscopy, his doctor insisted he at least do a sampling for Cologuard. He told me he didn't want to do it, but finally did.

The office called in a few days, said you need to have a colonoscopy ASAP. Found two polyps too large to remove, considered precancerous. After a CT scan, and other tests, and another colonoscopy conducted by a colorectal surgeon, he was told his only option was to have a portion of his colon removed.

Three weeks ago they removed about an 8 inch section. Pathology confirmed it was still precancerous, so after a lengthy recovery, 8 weeks off work, he should be fine, without chemo or radiation. Close call. His surgeon told him if he had waited another year, 100% it would have been cancerous.

I had my first colonoscopy at 50. New guidelines, I think, call for 45. Don't ignore the risk, almost 100% preventable type of cancer.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

3bailey3

I had my first at 60 and was clean, I got it because my buddy had one and they found cancer and removed almost 12 inches and cemo for a year! He is ok now but all you guys need to have one by 50 at the latest!

Lcmacd 58

Good advice ..
At 66 I've had several...fortunately no issues

10th Legionaire

Neil, good to hear your friend is going to be ok.

I'm 64 and have had three colonoscopies.

I have to state this strongly, THE PROCEDURE IS NOT A BIG DEAL!

Ask to do the Miralax/gatorade prep before hand. You go in they give you a mild sedative, put an IV in your arm and knock you out.

Too much at risk not to do it.
Less is more

Paulmyr

I'm on the 5 year plan. They found some small possibly precancerous polyps my 1st go around so I need a colonoscopy every 5 years to monitor and make sure everything is clean. Round 2 is this winter. Flushing the your digestive system is the hard part.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Yoder409

Quote from: 10th Legionaire on August 09, 2024, 08:00:19 PMI have to state this strongly, THE PROCEDURE IS NOT A BIG DEAL!

TRUTH !!!

Easy peasy.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Turkeybutt

Get it done! The worst part is the prepping ( drinking that solution) but it isn't bad. Over before you know it.

Tom007

Quote from: 10th Legionaire on August 09, 2024, 08:00:19 PMNeil, good to hear your friend is going to be ok.

I'm 64 and have had three colonoscopies.

I have to state this strongly, THE PROCEDURE IS NOT A BIG DEAL!

Ask to do the Miralax/gatorade prep before hand. You go in they give you a mild sedative, put an IV in your arm and knock you out.

Too much at risk not to do it.

X2, same here. The risk of not getting screened on this doesn't usually end well. I go every three years. Best 30 second sleep I ever had!

NCL

I have had two colonoscopies. I am high risk as my father had colon cancer. First was clean, second a couple of benign polyps. As has been said the worst part is the prep. When I had the first one they woke me and said you can go. I thought I had only been there about 5 minutes

Cowboy

I'm 53. I had my first one about 18 months ago. I had a small polyp. Benign. The procedure is very simple and im glad I did it.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

bbcoach

I have a friend that recently had a colonoscopy and he found out that he had a precancerous tumor in his abdomen.  He went in last Monday and had it removed. The surgeon had to remove about 12 cm of his colon along with several lymph nodes.  He spent the entire week in the hospital due to some complications and will have to have some additional treatment (unknown at this time) to make sure the cancer cells don't spread.  As we age, it is VERY Important for all of us to embrace our health and that includes going to the doctor.  If you want to continue Hunting, enjoying Family and Live to a ripe OLD age, listen to your doctors and get your annual checkups and have those regular tests run even if the PREP is NASTY and UNCOMFORTABLE.

Muzzy61

Quote from: Paulmyr on August 09, 2024, 08:45:33 PMI'm on the 5 year plan. They found some small possibly precancerous polyps my 1st go around so I need a colonoscopy every 5 years to monitor and make sure everything is clean. Round 2 is this winter. Flushing the your digestive system is the hard part.

Same thing with me. Have one scheduled in 3 week.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr