Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

If you could only have one long box. Maker and wood combo?

Started by Manager8, August 09, 2024, 11:02:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

Greg Massey

Ernie Fetters - black walnut/Bolivian Rosewood or black walnut/Bloodwood or purpleheart/poplar. Anyone of these 3 long boxes  if I could only have one of these I would take the black walnut/Bolivian Rosewood

Notsoyoungturk

My first thought is my Neil Cost solid cedar but I am scared to take it out except in the most controlled conditions.  Therefore, I would go with my Steve Mann Cedar on Yellow Poplar.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Yoder409

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on August 16, 2024, 08:37:23 AMMy first thought is my Neil Cost solid cedar but I am scared to take it out except in the most controlled conditions. 

I went with Neil Cost, too.

I didn't see where the O.P. specifically stipulated I had to CARRY it in the woods....   :TooFunny:

If I ever DID..... it'd have to be in some kind of HECK for tough holster.  Tank Tough, maybe, even....  :toothy9:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

I misread that above, sorry about that. I have wanted a call made with apple and black mulberry for a long time, I asked Mr. Watkins but he was not interested in making it. My first job as a teenager was picking drops in the apple orchards around my house and black mulberry reminds me of picking black mulberries from the tree on a property my father had with my sisters and then going home and making jam with it as well as pies. I want that combination even more now that my older sister died. I am not sure who I would want to make it for me to be honest, I had really hoped Mr. Watkins would.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Zobo

Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 11, 2024, 02:07:49 AMOf the ones I have played and own I always go back to the ones from Don Watkins. I hope to get another from him made from apple wood and something else. Alaska Yellow Cedar over Service Berry is what I have from him in a long box now.

And if you ever want to sell or trade it, as they say, I'm your huckleberry! 🤞😊
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Zobo on August 16, 2024, 10:03:49 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on August 11, 2024, 02:07:49 AMOf the ones I have played and own I always go back to the ones from Don Watkins. I hope to get another from him made from apple wood and something else. Alaska Yellow Cedar over Service Berry is what I have from him in a long box now.

And if you ever want to sell or trade it, as they say, I'm your huckleberry! 🤞😊
It was my first from him so unlikely I will sell it until I can't hunt anymore, which is looking to be sooner than I'd like. When it is all over I will sell it for camera gear if I can still do that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."