OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

"Reaping" out in SC!

Started by outdoornut, July 21, 2024, 09:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PalmettoRon

This new law only recently signed into law actually reduces the bag limit to 2 for both R and NR hunters unlike what is posted.

Agree with Gobblenut, the reaping law will be very hard to enforce.

NCL

The bigger problem than the moving versus stationary provision about the reaping/fanning is that it specially says on private land statewide which would indicate it is  permissible on public land. There may be other provisions o law or definitions that take care of these problems.

zelmo1

Get rid of all reaping. I have no issue with youth or first time hunters shooting 1 jake. Nobody needs to shoot 2 or more jakes. But as long as the laws allow it, then I accept it. Don't agree with it, but the law is the law. Z

PalmettoRon

Quote from: NCL on July 22, 2024, 12:40:36 PMThe bigger problem than the moving versus stationary provision about the reaping/fanning is that it specially says on private land statewide which would indicate it is  permissible on public land. There may be other provisions o law or definitions that take care of these problems.

It was already illegal on public land in SC.

PharmHunter

Yep and bag limit reduced to 2.  They screwed that up in that paragraph.  I believe over to the left of that everything is printed correctly.

LB75

No one that reaps or carries a Turkey tail fan is a hunter.

Louisiana finally changed the law to no jakes. This will absolutely make a difference 300 jakes not killed this year is at least half that many more two year olds next spring that's math a four year old could grasp. Jake survival from year one to two is pretty high from the studies I've seen.

NCL

Palmetto Ron,

Thanks, I wondered it public land was covered under a difference code section

dirtnap

Quote from: GobbleNut on July 22, 2024, 10:02:25 AMRegarding the reaping rule, I find it interesting that it appears that the rule against using a fan only applies to someone who is "stalking".  That implies that someone who is in a "fixed position" (not moving towards a turkey) would not be in violation of this regulation. (perhaps stalking is defined and clarified somewhere else in the regs)

Bottom line to me is that the regulation should just state that it is illegal to have a turkey fan in possession while hunting (IMO...that should include any kind of turkey decoy with extended fan).  The way the rule is written, it would be very difficult to enforce unless a wildlife officer actually witnessed someone moving towards a gobbler with the fan (or decoy) in hand.

In addition, if gobbler decoys/fans (if legal), were being carried in the field to be placed as fixed decoys somewhere, the act of carrying them could be interpreted as "stalking", even with no intent of such. 

In summary, very poorly-worded regulation...and probably going to be unenforceable in many situations.

You summed it up pretty accurately.

Ihuntoldschool

All for ban on reaping.

Jake rule won't help a thing.