OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2 reed call help

Started by Plumbob, July 18, 2024, 02:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plumbob

I just recently purchased the press and cutter from Thad to start building mouth calls. I have been trying my first to be a simple 2 reed call, without any cuts, just to have a base to start exoerimenting with. Ive tried .004 red on top with .003 2nd, proph, etc. Different stretches, all that. I can tell its getting closer, but not what I want.

Any pointers? Ive read alot of the posts on here and taken alot of notes, but just aint getting it. I know it took me years to finally get my pot calls where I want them, so I know there is alot of trial and error.

GobbleNut

To preface:  When you get right down to it, the combinations of latex/proph, thickness, colors, layers, stretch, reed stagger, and cuts are endless in making calls. Sorting all of it out to find the combinations that work best for each of us can seem to be overwhelming.

Having attempted to go through that process for years now, here are a few generalizations I have found:
 >> The thinner the material used, the less reed tension/stretch is needed and the easier it is to "blow" and make turkey sounds.  Conversely, the thicker the material, more reed tension is needed.
 >> Assuming you have put the right initial reed tension for the material you are using in a call, you can usually find the "turkey" in pretty much every call by going through a reed cutting and modification process. Often, that involves very, very minute adjustments to the reed cuts.
 >> I personally very rarely make a call that I am satisfied with the initial sound of the call without going through that reed cutting/modification process. It is also very rare that, after going through that reed cutting process, I will not end up with a call that I am perfectly satisfied to take to the woods to call turkeys with.

Based on your comment about getting close to the sound you want but not quite, I think you will find that learning to make those modifications to the cuts will often get you to where you want to be with any call you make...regardless of the initial sounds you get from a newly made call.

Plumbob

Thanks alot GobbleNut, makes alot of sense. I'll keep researching cuts and keep working at it.