turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Many Days...?

Started by GobbleNut, July 14, 2024, 09:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

The question always seems to be asked prior to the season as to how many days each of us is planning to hunt.  I suppose the follow-up to that is how many days did we actually end up hunting compared to our predictions or expectations?

For me, I usually want to try to get in at least twenty days each spring, either personally "on the gun" or at least helping somebody else.  I tallied things up for spring '24 and I ended up hunting "on the gun" a total of twelve days. In addition, I was "in the field" with other hunters trying to help them out another four days, and with one additional scouting day, for a total of seventeen days...a bit below my preseason expectations.

But, in all honesty, I could have easily added another trip at the end of the season and reached that twenty-day expectation.  I just didn't have the drive to do it...and quite frankly, I was completely satisfied with how the season had gone and didn't need...or even want...to hunt anymore.

How 'bout everybody else?  Did this season meet your expectations of time spent afield and the satisfaction you had with your hunts?...

Lcmacd 58

Given that our seasons here in Illinois are short I was only able to be "on the gun" 12 days with only 1 tag filled out of 3. The weather played a huge part .... I hunted in a torrential down pour 4 of those 12 days. I was able to help a buddy fill his tag. All that being said I will spend 20 days scouting or more prior to and during season. I love being in the woods chasing ole tom. I am retired so I can spend alot if time and with my knees and back not 100% it takes alot of time these days.

NCL

If my memory is correct I thought I would get out at least 10 days. My final tally was 7 days so I definitely fell short. The worst part is I do not have a good reason that I did not go out those final days.

Kygobblergetter

I believe I hunted either on the gun or helping others in some capacity approximately 40 days. Several of those were after work for a couple hours either in the morning or the evening. It was about all I could squeeze out of turkey season and I loved every moment of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYturkey

Never enough is my answer to both questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I started scouting in early March, scouted 19 mornings. My season opened April 22nd, and I harvested my last bird on May 13th. That's around 22 days, I did take one day off during that time, and a few Sundays I did not hunt. As usual, I enjoyed every minute and can't wait till I hit the woods again.....

Yoder409

Had every day......ALLLLLLLL day to hunt.

Ended up hunting 4 1/2 days in Campeche for Ocellated birds.  Then 6 days at home to fill 2 tags here.

I had planned to hunt another state or two.  But my Mrs. got laid up for a good while and I needed to attend to the fires at home.

Still......... A spring FULL of AMAZING hunting !!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Roost 1

I do not count scouting days.
Hunted or assisted 23 days in 10 states.
Overall a great season.

Notsoyoungturk

As usual, not a many as I hoped.  Between work and other things, it seems like the only time I get out is if I plan a trip with someone else.  I hunted 3 days in South Carolina and 4 days in Tennessee (all with guests).  I thoroughly enjoyed those days and wish I had made time for more.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

WV Flopper

I carried a gun 18 days. Lost 4 days to travel, 3 days to weather.

I typically hunt 20-22 days. The weather is typical, it will happen, just when. So, I guess I was about normal for the spring hunt days.

YoungGobbler

I hunted 11 morning, got my two tags filled. One on opening day, one on second to last day of the season.

Scouted for 2 weeks every evening prior to season opener.

I couldn't squeeze more hunts out of the season.

I'm still working and I took one day off, got laid off one day due to rain and went one morning before work.

I was there every 4 weekends of the 4 weeks long season.

Yoder409

I also got 3 mornings in calling for friends.

Wasn't counting those.....
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

3bailey3

Everyday it didn't rain!

eggshell

I didn't keep track, but I'm guessing around 20 days +/- 3. I hunted two states. This is more days then usual, because I messed up too much.

Paulmyr

I came up with about 20 days this spring. If I can pull time off from work early I get an extended trip to a southern state. If not, it's generally weekends from the middle of April to the end of May.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.