turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

glue glass surface

Started by dah, June 29, 2024, 01:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dah

My first attempt on putting together a kit. Finished a mineral poplar pot , installed slate soundboard then crystal playing surface . Using E600 glue . About half of the surface looks ok , the other half not so much . Think maybe to much glue . Applied glue with q-tip . Some pushed out on wood , some under crystal . Some smeared a little . Any suggestions on how to apply glue on crystal surface . I have more pots and enjoying the process , I don't have a space to turn pots myself , but the kits are next best . This glue is in a squeeze tube . Thanks .

hpo

Here is how I do it:

Either look for a screw on tip for a smaller bead of glue, transfer the glue to a small bottle with a pinpoint tip, or use toothpicks to lay a small amount of glue on the ledge.

Once you have the correct amount of glue, press the call surface in and turn it a bit to ensure good adhesion. Weight/clamp surface down until dry.

With glass/crystal, it is a challenge to ensure you have a small, consistent bead of glue so it does not look like crap at the end. I also believe some cut a small & shallow groove on the ledge for the glue to "lay in" and stay in place(rather than smear). Never done this.
Shoot'em in the Face!

dah

Thank you HPO . I found the bottle you suggested transferring glue to and the screw on spout , going to order them . I should have researched more but after your suggestion and finding the sight I think that will work , also going to only apply glue to pot . Thank you much for your help .
  I am working on two more and find myself going to sleep thinking about putting calls together .
  These pots are from CRGAME CALLS to whom I give all credit to in design and tooling the call . I only finish and assemble but enjoying the process very much . I finished my first one , looks good , conditioned the surface and pleasantly pleased with the sound . Now I want to call a bird up with it and it is more than capable . Again , I give credit to CRGAME for the design and dimensions of the pot . 
  Thinking about Christmas presents so will be
researching transferring pictures . More info than you probably wanted to know , thank you HPO.

PA-strutter

Those little bottles and transfering glue is a pain in the....you know where. I use an acid brush and trim the bristles.
Teds Custom Calls on FB

paboxcall

Head to a Tractor Supply and get the smaller livestock syringes. Pull the plunger, squeeze the glue in there. Have someone slowly rotate the pot as you evenly apply a thin bead. Drop your glass in, and set a small can of veggies on top to evenly spread it and until it dries.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on July 22, 2024, 10:26:28 AMHead to a Tractor Supply and get the smaller livestock syringes. Pull the plunger, squeeze the glue in there. Have someone slowly rotate the pot as you evenly apply a thin bead. Drop your glass in, and set a small can of veggies on top to evenly spread it and until it dries.

I was about to suggest the same as that is what I started doing. (Somebody here suggested it to me, maybe more than one somebody) I do have a question, I remove the needle, do you do that as well? I use I think it is called E6000 to put the surfaces on and found it much to think to go through the needle but I know some people use Tightbond and that would seem to be plenty thin to go through a needle.

@dah they make some nice kits, I have done 4 so far, my gluing was horrible in the first and that was just on the soundboard so don't feel to bad, it is a learning process that I am still learning. It is fun to sand them down and then finish and put together, first one I did was with polyurethane and the others have been with Mohawk primer and lacquer that I spay on, I like it much more but it is a long process and you have to be careful with that stuff, you want a ventalator mask, goggles and plenty of ventilation, I got myself quite sick doing two one year as I did not have enough ventilation.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

paboxcall

These don't come with needles, they are just plain dosing syringes used for measuring liquids for oral medications for livestock.

I've used plumber's goop with good adhesion between aluminum, glass and wood.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Sir-diealot

Quote from: paboxcall on July 22, 2024, 10:12:45 PMThese don't come with needles, they are just plain dosing syringes used for measuring liquids for oral medications for livestock.

I've used plumber's goop with good adhesion between aluminum, glass and wood.
Got you, never knew they make them. These are the small ones I have been using, got some odd looks the last time I had to call an ambulance forvJane and two cops showed up.

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

dah