OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet Calling Competition

Started by War Nock, May 17, 2024, 12:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Nock

Is there any videos of a calling competition where they are using trumpets to compete?? When Dave Owens interviewed those guys about how to run a trumpet they both made mention of competing with them. (pinholti project Youtube)
Jesus
Its better to know him before you meet him.
Stop ,drop, n roll will not work in hell
        (unknown)

ChesterCopperpot

I've never seen a competition where they just ran yelpers. Usually they have a set number of calls, say five, they have to make. Might be the plain yelp of the hen or the cutting of an excited hen or the kee kee run of a lost young gobbler, whatever. I took what they said in that video to mean they'd used yelpers before to make certain calls in competitions. But I could be entirely wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

War Nock

You are probably correct. Its been a while since I watched that video.
  I was just looking to see what all was possible with a trumpet. The variety of sounds I guess. 
Jesus
        (unknown)

ChesterCopperpot

There are some folks on this forum who are incredible, Terry being one of them. As far as calls, I've heard everything done on a yelper. I've heard folks gobble on them, though I think there are much better instruments for the task. Don't know that I've ever heard a really good purr on a yelper, but I've heard some great quavers that would accomplish the same task outside of maybe a fighting sequence. Anyhow, search the forum for some of the sound files member like Terry have posted. I can tell you I've heard better calling on here than anywhere else.

ChesterCopperpot

Seems the videos I was referring to of Terry's have been taken down which is a shame. They were on this thread originally.

Help my yelp!
 https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=17578&share_tid=46375&url=https%3A%2F%2Foldgobbler%2Ecom%2FForum%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D46375&share_type=t&link_source=app

ChesterCopperpot

War Nock

Jesus
        (unknown)

Old Swamper

One Gentleman, in particular, would blow your mind on what a yelper is capable of. You will never see or hear him on any video or soundfile though.

crow

I think Mark Prudhomme won the S.C. State calling contest with a trumpet several years back.

War Nock

Quote from: Old Swamper on May 18, 2024, 03:14:18 PMOne Gentleman, in particular, would blow your mind on what a yelper is capable of. You will never see or hear him on any video or soundfile though.

Is he someone who would offer advice?
Jesus
        (unknown)

War Nock

Quote from: crow on May 18, 2024, 03:27:11 PMI think Mark Prudhomme won the S.C. State calling contest with a trumpet several years back.

I was thinking I had heard something like that but can't find a video of the competition. Don't even Know where to look actually.
Jesus
        (unknown)

Greg Massey

Lee Chadwick with misfiregamecalls,com has a good instructional YouTube video on how to use a trumpet.

War Nock

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 19, 2024, 10:00:00 AMLee Chadwick with misfiregamecalls,com has a good instructional YouTube video on how to use a trumpet.

Yes sir, I have watched it several time. Thank you.
Jesus
        (unknown)

misfire

There used to be a competition in Nashville called Champion of Champions. To be eligible, you had to have won the GNCC and each contestant was to use 5 different calls in that competition, with Mark Prudhomme and Kerry Terrell using a trumpet in that event to win Champion of Champions.
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

War Nock

Looks like mark won it from 2009- 2013. 13 being the last year they did it.  Is there any video floating around of those competitions?
Jesus
        (unknown)