Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Part Duece: a pretty good trip.

Started by BBR12, May 16, 2024, 08:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BBR12

After my son's senior stuff was over and I Finally got white wing home and to the taxidermist. I got right back on a plane and flew back. I was on to a new state and luckily had a friend who was in the area and had roosted several birds. I landed at 12:30 jumped in the car and slept about 2 hours and then got up and headed to meet him. After tons of gobbling by several birds they all flew down and went straight to bird feeders as is the case quite often in this area. After quite a bit of prospecting we located some more about 10 and I was able to get a shot. 

After quitting time we ate lunch and caught a nap then headed to check out a more rural area about an hour away. We were able to get a gobble out of one so after returning to camp we split up and I headed back to the new spot to roost and he went somewhere else. We both roosted birds.
The next morning we went out separate ways. I was able to use the terrain and some dark timber to get very tight on my bird. He was ready and after he flew down he came straight to me and I was tagged out. A few minutes later I got a message saying he had got his also. We met up and chased some more for him that ended up being hard gobbling jakes. After that we took pictures, fixed some coffee and talked about our hunts before heading out in our own directions.

I headed to say hello to a farmer who had let me hunt a few years ago. I ended up staying there and taking his son in law the next morning and he shot a bird and let it get away. After that I decided to get closer to home and headed south. I probably should have killed a bird the next day but he twisted me around the tree into the sun. When he came out he saw enough that he skirted me right at comfortable shooting distance and kept going and ended up on private pretty quickly. Next day I didn't hear anything at daylight so I started working my way south across the state by mid evening I was whooped and decided to call it a good trip and headed home to take the wife to a concert the next night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afhunter1

Sounds like you have had an amazing spring.  I hope to travel to SD next spring and get one of those pretty white tipped birds. 

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FullChoke

What an exciting and satisfying trip. Congratulations on a safe and wildly successful season.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Bottomland OG

Congratulations on an awesome season.

zelmo1

Charmed season bro. You earned it, you worked hard for it. Congrats and well done. Z

callaway71

Roost 1