OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Quiet Birds

Started by #FreeCarlRay, April 22, 2024, 07:38:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

#FreeCarlRay

Good morning gentlemen and ladies, I hope everyone's season has been going well anyone having any issues with birds being more quiet than past seasons? Seems that way her in Va for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

From what I have heard and seen birds have been pretty quiet.

Muzzy61

Just finished our season in North Florida and the birds were very quiet. A little gobbling on the roost and very little on the ground.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: Muzzy61 on April 22, 2024, 03:30:20 PMJust finished our season in North Florida and the birds were very quiet. A little gobbling on the roost and very little on the ground.
That was my experience as well on public land, but as soon as I started hitting my lease right across the border literally 15 miles away from Osceola WMA the birds hammered almost every day until they started feeling the pressure. I also think the general hunting pressure is increasing rapidly with all the social media exposure to turkey hunting.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

bbcoach

We are a week into a 4 week season here in Eastern NC and the birds are very quiet here.  I've never seen it this quiet in all the years I have hunted here.

Spring Creek Calls

Quiet here around my house in SW Michigan. One bird gobbled twice Saturday and not a peep since. Tomorrow is a new day.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Dtrkyman

Decent gobbling past 2 days in Missouri, about normal I'd say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougas

They have been gobbling really well for me here in Oregon. All three of them lost their lives to me because of it.

mdmitchell

Hunted KY on some public all weekend and didn't hear a gobble for 2 days. I finally managed to find a cluster of birds and strike them mid afternoon and kill one but man the quiet mornings were frustrating.

Rt0426

Was in MO this past weekend.  Birds gobbled on the roost until meeting up with their hens, as expected.  But absolutely zero late morning, afternoon, or evening gobbles.  It was a little strange since we always seem to get some kind of courtesy gobble, but the weather was great, so you cant really complain too much!

trclark

Gobbled really good last week in WV, got colder this week, hard frost yesterday and no gobbles, and nothing yet today.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

silvestris

Saldu have a tendency to shut them up.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Ihuntoldschool

Quote from: silvestris on April 23, 2024, 12:07:26 PMSaldu have a tendency to shut them up.

X2. There's your problem.

Ihuntoldschool

In addition to Saldu which is the main problem.

1. Alot die 1st week of season.   Dead birds don't gobble. 

2. Foliage heavier by the day and birds on ground are harder to hear .

3.  After flydown boss gobblers are with hens. Think more drumming less gobbling.  He's got a volume knob on his gobble like on a radio. He'll gobble just loud enough.

jimmyg97

How are predators where you're at? I have permission on a farm that has a coyote problem and birds are pretty tight lipped in the area.