OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker suggestions

Started by 357MAGNOLE, April 17, 2024, 02:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Right now I have a JLH Frogwood on the way from a member here, and 3 from Fowler on the way. A Persimmon, Black Locust, Osage Orange with Carbon tip.

I also ordered an Enticer Silver Thunder today too. I use to have one and no idea why I let it go because it was easy to run wet or dry.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

357MAGNOLE

Got everything in today, including a new Silver Thunder Extreme from Enticer Calls. Sat on the back porch for about an hour rotating through the new and old strikers on each call to find what I felt played most consistently and sounded the most turkey.

I ended up leaving my Sneed Outlaw Hen on the shelf, it's a good call but I think I'll be retiring it. I have too much faith in my Sneed Hot Hen for soft calling.  It's called in half the birds I killed when they got hung up.  The Cyrstal Mistress is just a nasty call with a lot of high-pitch rasp that carries so it's staying and the new Enticer Silver Thunder is just different to mix it up.  It does well with the higher-pitch calling, but I can flip it over and use the backside of the pot to do some soft calling as well. 

I ended up picking the Fowler Persimmon to pair with the Slate.  The Crystal Mistress will pair with the JLH Frogwood (The JLH Frogwood plays great on all of them honestly) Silver Thunder pairs great with the supplied carbon striker, on the back side ill use a Fowler Osage Orange with carbon tip as well.  It plays some sweet sweet tree talk.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

turkey stew

Congrats on your strukers and pot call set up! Looks like the gobblers are in trouble!