OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dial in this 500 410

Started by Southernson13, March 24, 2024, 07:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southernson13

Good grief. You can reference my recent posts on this thread to see the different set ups patterned. I've got about 20 rds of foxtrot so I'd like to find something that will shoot the 383 #9.5. Sumtoy 385 shot like hot garbage. We'll I assume it's a 385. It's not etched or engraved like it supposed to be. No markings on the package either. Went to indian creek .390 and I'd shot about the same as stock choke. It's decent and huntable but it ain't nothin like other comparable setups I've seen. Other folks hitting 150-200 with their 410 and I'm barely scratching 120 in a ten inch circle. Would you expect a dramatic difference in the same constriction from different manufacturers? There's several places that I could potentially try to exchange my .390 for a .385 near me but I don't want to go to the trouble if it's likely the same result. Any experience with difficult fer10 would be appreciated.

btodd00

I have had great luck with factory chokes in all my 410s, even the 500 turkey. The best pattern ive seen through any of them was my Stevens 301 with factory choke (I believe they are just Carlson tss chokes). my sons shoots good but they are definitely not identical patterns. The factory 500 choke has a more open pattern than the 301 but nothing to be alarmed about, it still killed a rio at 40 yards just fine last season. I have wanted to try a Carlson in it but have never ordered one, that would be starting point if I were going to change 

Ive never counted pellets but I got most even pattern when I tried #10 shot so that's what my handholds are. Allegedly the 301 gun and choke combo is "optimized" to shoot federal tss #9 but that combo shoots the worst from mine (still plenty good to kill). Apex and browning were best factory loads I tried but that was several years ago, much more factory options available today

superx2

Did you try polishing the barrel?
If not try polishing the barrel and then give it another try.   

cannonball

I wouldn't buy any more choke tubes for it. You're not going to see much of an improvement since you already tried 3 different ones and they all performed poorly. I know that Indian Creek should shoot much better than you are seeing. Did you purchase the gun new or used? Have you checked the barrel for fouling? A deep cleaning with bore solvent would be a good place to start and then inspect the condition inside after it's clean. Polishing might help as already mentioned. I know Foxtrot makes excellent ammo but I would still try another brand to eliminate a shell issue. I have a Tristar Viper G2 Turkey that throws excellent pattens with Viper Ammo 1oz #10's. Below are two patterns shot at 35 yards with an Indian Creek .385 and .390. The 390 patterned better for me, probably due to the high count of pellets in the load I am shooting and the .385 was over constricted for the shell.

Southernson13

The gun was bought brand new. I scrubbed the hell out of it before ever fitting it because of all the cosmoline and clp that put in guns from factory nowadays. I haven't polished it yet. In my understanding polishing doesn't make a bad shooting gun shoot great. It makes a good shooting gun and setup even better. I ended up finding a local store that was willing to trade my indian creek for a 385. I've gotten mixed opinions saying each choke manufacturer can shoot wildly different at the same constriction. Fingers crossed. I have a buddy shooting almost identical setup and gets 200+ at 40 with 9.5 so I would like to find something that is at least somewhere I'm the middle.

hangman strut

both chokes have nice shot count in 10" should work well to drop a bird at 35-40 yards

runngun

I have shot a lot of chokes over the years.  I have never seen a choke from 2 different companies, same constriction shoot the same pattern OR same Point of Impact.
I have shot 4 or 5 companies same constriction, same gun ALL were different.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

vt35mag

I know you want to shoot the fox trot, but I would get my hands on a shell or two of another round and see if you get the same results.
Squeaky clean barrel between every shot too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

cannonball

Quote from: vt35mag on March 27, 2024, 12:27:33 PM
I know you want to shoot the fox trot, but I would get my hands on a shell or two of another round and see if you get the same results.
Squeaky clean barrel between every shot too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree 100%.

davisd9

120 at 40 yards sounds good to me.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

turkeywhisperer935

Not to sound like a jack a$$. Gun or setup just may not like foxtrot. I have a  301 that likes apex and a friend of mines does not. Same gun same setup.