turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Nonresident Advisory

Started by GobbleNut, March 20, 2024, 10:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

For those of you who may have applied to hunt KS as a nonresident like myself and a couple of friends that have done so for the first time, be advised that in addition to the turkey permit which you have received (or will receive) in the mail, you must also purchase a nonresident hunting license to be legal. 

That information is not included on the turkey permit anywhere, so others like us might be thinking that the turkey license is all you need.  It is not.  Gotta also buy that nonresident hunting license for roughly $130.00.  ...I find it kinda weird that they don't have a clear message on the permit indicating that you need to buy the other license...   ??? ::)

Hook hanger

Yep definitely not a cheap state to hunt with a one bird license costing $200+!

Burney Mac

$200 is cheap now. Just look at how far we've fallen in the last ten years, the next ten will be even worse. If you think further down the road and think on it long enough you'll likely end up furious and then be sick to your stomach.
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Trkmaster88

It it a mobile license or do you need to print/mail to receive?

joey46

Depending on my wife's health situation I am currently looking into three northern states.  If possible I'll pick one for a late season May hunt.  None will be less than $200.00 and when hunting out of state I never try for more than one bird.  For all the non-res pressure we get here in Florida it is one of the better deals in the country since I believe we still allow a ten day non-res license (cheap) to be acceptable for turkey hunting then adding the turkey tag.  The WMA license addition is priced the same for residents and non-residents.  A little known secret is that some public land does not require a WMA permit.  These are few and far between and don't be a cheap axx (LOL) and always add the WMA permit.  Good luck.

ADD - just looked at one possibility - OHIO -  $220 and Ohio is a definite one bird state for everyone.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 20, 2024, 10:56:45 PM
For those of you who may have applied to hunt KS as a nonresident like myself and a couple of friends that have done so for the first time, be advised that in addition to the turkey permit which you have received (or will receive) in the mail, you must also purchase a nonresident hunting license to be legal. 

That information is not included on the turkey permit anywhere, so others like us might be thinking that the turkey license is all you need.  It is not.  Gotta also buy that nonresident hunting license for roughly $130.00.  ...I find it kinda weird that they don't have a clear message on the permit indicating that you need to buy the other license...   ??? ::)
Same with the way their duck regs are worded too. They nail OoS during waterfowl season on it, the general hunting license is an assumed necessity with all seasonal regulations and not mentioned, it's only in their state wildlife code that tells you you need it for everything.

I would certainly agree that it's a bit deceiving. Especially knowing I hunt other states where a turkey tag is considered big game and you don't need the "general hunting" that some states consider for only small game hunting. Not making it clear and obvious isn't right.

Dtrkyman

Most states prompt you while buying a license of other stamps etc. you need.

Some fame agencies need to update their system no doubt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: Trkmaster88 on March 21, 2024, 06:41:26 AM

You can print the NR license.  Go to your KS account, follow the links to the "buy licenses" page, make the purchase, and you will be able to print the license.  One caveat:  if you follow one link, it may take you to a page indicating that all NR turkey licenses are sold out and you will hit a dead-end there, but there is another link that will let you buy the license.   :icon_thumright:

AndyN

Good to point out for those people that do little research before going hunting. It is on page 14 of the regs book(something everyone should read before hunting a new state) "A valid Kansas hunting license is required in addition to a permit, unless exempt by law." It is also under the fees, licenses, and permits section of the website in bold "In addition, a valid Kansas hunting license is required of all residents age 16 through 74 and all nonresidents, except persons hunting on their own land."

Prospector

On an only slightly related to this subject: as a resident Mississippi hunter I like the idea of a one bird limit for guest hunters. This is possibly one way to help our state lands while not eliminating opportunity to hunt????. I would be completely happy accepting a one bird limit in other states I attend as a guest hunter. Sorry if I de railed but this just returns me to our earlier conversations.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

joey46

100% agree.  Just as a personal choice I never hunted for more than one bird in any state I hunted as a non-res.  Usually found other things to do if I got one early.  Great time to scout, sightsee or assist a companion in their quest.  Since I now usually fly trying to get more than one gobbler home would be a chore anyway.  It has been rumored that if Florida ever decides to limit non-res it will start with a one bird Osceola limit.  A one bird limit in the Osceola's range for all residents and non-res on public land wouldn't hurt. I should live so long. Reciprocity on an issue such as this should not piz off too many .

joey46

I won't start it but this would be a good subject for discussion.

runngun

I for one don't mind a one bird limit.  As matter of fact I drive 12-13 hours one way, 900 miles from my driveway to his for one Old Gobbler.  And I do it with a smile on my face. As long as it's good for the birds it's good by me.
I have taken birds every year at this location, hear and see plenty of birds too.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Hook hanger

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 21, 2024, 08:46:29 AM

You can print the NR license.  Go to your KS account, follow the links to the "buy licenses" page, make the purchase, and you will be able to print the license.  One caveat:  if you follow one link, it may take you to a page indicating that all NR turkey licenses are sold out and you will hit a dead-end there, but there is another link that will let you buy the license.   :icon_thumright:

The license they mail has a green back ground and states not valid if it doesn't have the background. They done this to catch poachers that were printing multiple tags.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Hook hanger on March 22, 2024, 01:48:53 AM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 21, 2024, 08:46:29 AM

The license they mail has a green back ground and states not valid if it doesn't have the background. They done this to catch poachers that were printing multiple tags.

True on the turkey permit itself, but the general license can apparently be printed on regular paper...at least that is my understanding from going through the process.  I suppose I might get something else in the mail at some point...not sure, but it appears to me that the general nonresident hunting license can just be printed off of the website.  I saw no indication that the general license I printed was not valid and/or that they were going to send me something else in the mail.  I guess we will see...   :)