Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

2024 Killer B's Story Thread

Started by Delmar ODonnell, March 19, 2024, 03:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Congrats! Those are real nice. Way to go! Some fine spurs!
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Gotta love a double !!!!

CONGRATS, guys !!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zsully

It was such a fun hunt and, man, a_jabbo isn't lying when he says it's a love hate relationship with this spot. When it works like it did that day though it makes the hike worth it and I don't know that I'll ever get tired of a double with a buddy!

JeffC

Congrats to the both of you on a great hunt.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

a_jabbo

So here's the story of tagging out in PA on one heck of a worthy opponent. Zsully and I had multiple hunts for this turkey. Even Tywatt got to experience of being out turkey'd by this gobbler. Zach and I had a run in with this gobbler on opening day. The Saturday before, Zach, his son, and myself spent a tiring 6 1/2 hours chasing this gobbler, and the closest he got was 50 yards. Then the next Monday, we had him at 50 yards in his roost tree, just to watch him fly 350 yards across a field. On Wednesday, we had our plan of attack. We setup in the bottom field where we felt he would pitch off the roost to. We were getting setup, and at 5:15, he let out his first gobbles. Right from his known roost tree. We get situated against a dead log and high grass, and we're ready. From there, for 45 minutes straight, he proceeded to absolutely gobble his brains out. Zach told me while we were sitting there, that he counted and there wasn't a time where 6 seconds went by without a gobble. At one point, he let out a series of gobbles, that we didn't know where one gobble ended and the other began. So when he went completely silent, I had a good feeling he had either pitched out or was about to. No sooner that thought came across my mind, the sound of wing beats, and an immediate spit and drum, came from directly behind us about 10 yards. There was one problem with this situation, there was a deer trail that came right to Zach's feet, and if he happened to choose that, we were finished. Luckily, he decided to go to our left. He made his way around a point of brush (which you can see in the pics) and entered into the fairly recent planted cornfield. He stepped out at 27 yards. Checkmate!!! At 6 am.

kernan hospital

Yoder409

CONGRATS, brother !!!

If he'll give a guy 3 good chances....likely he'll die.

Great bird !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Tom007

That is a slammer! Congrats!!!
"Solo hunter"

JeffC

Great story with great pictures, thanks for sharing!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Meleagris gallopavo

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.