turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hen Gobble

Started by Greg Massey, March 14, 2024, 03:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

How many of you have ever heard a hen gobbling?   

Did you know some hens can gobble........

g8rvet

(I have so many funny things to say and I just can't say them on this forum, so I think I will just say:)

I have never hear a hen gobble.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Treerooster

Never heard a hen gobble...that I know of. Heard one that may have been a hen gobble but really didn't see the bird do it.

Have seen it on youtube a few times. One I can recollect is "Side Hilling" by Claycomb Outdoors. IIRC anyways.

They do gobble but it is weak. Lovett Williams mentioned hearing a hen gobble.

bwhana

I heard it once during deer season about 8 years ago.  A large flock of birds was roosted on a ridge parallel to my setup and made the most calls I've ever heard in the tree and on the ground. I had a diaphragm with me so I started assembly yelping and cutting.  The boss hen got fired up as I mimicked her every call and she brought the whole flock under my tree. Even though they saw me with an orange hat, they didn't spook and she broke into full strut and gobbled 10+ times.  She circled my tree several times before leaving.  Fun time in the woods and one of many I wish I had a camera with me to film it.

Howie g

I've seen it twice that I can recall .    Both were attempting to strut also .

Kyle_Ott

I have Iphone video of a merriams hen gobbling from mid-may in 2022.

It was a fascinating experience and she was really fired up.

mcw3734

Once about three years ago. She gobbled twice in a span of 5 minutes. I didn't actually see her doing it, so I can't say for certain. But that's what immediately popped into my head when I heard it, and it sounded just like what you hear on YouTube.

Turkeyman

Once several years ago. She came in full strut and gobbling...sure surprised me. She got within ten yards 
so I had a good show. She gobbled well, only lacking the deep reverberation you get with a tom.

appalachianassassin

zelmo1

Once I heard a hen make a gobble like sound. She was "strutting" acting very aggressively and making the 'choked gobble' sound. She did this for 20ish minutes and then followed the hens she ran off into the woods. I'd like to think it was my calling/work that got a nice tom to come in about 10 minutes later. But it was an odd sequence. I have an iphone stand and a long life battery now. I am trying to video more now that I am slowing down2, lol. Z

Burtwill

One time. Seen them strut a couple times. Manly hens.

bluetick58

there is one on youtube just up yesterday Bayside Legion

TrackeySauresRex

Yes twice. And strutting as well... a hen strut that is. The one time i was with an inexperienced turkey hunter.. I had to advise him not to shoot. The gobble was horrible, but she was trying.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Cowboy

I have once and she was strutting as well.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Saw one strut for a few seconds last year.  Have not heard one gobble.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!