OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hung Up Gobbler Success

Started by klatham, March 14, 2024, 09:44:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klatham

Greg Massey

Quit calling and go silent and pray he closes the distance for a shot...

appalachianassassin

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Ryanmc

Back up 100 yards or make a big loop to get on the other side of him

Notsoyoungturk

A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Happy

22-250

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on March 14, 2024, 10:50:44 AM
22-250

Happy, don't forget reaping with a fan in front of your face alone with the 22-250

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Brinkcalls

Let him walk off, dip outta sight, circle around. Try him again. Kill him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Treerooster

Calls I have used to break a gobbler. These were a definite...like he was hung up for quite a while and then came in within a minute or so of making the call.

Fight purr

Kee Kee run

Jake yelps coupled with soft hen talk

Aggressive cutting

Gobble(s)

And I have also tried some of the above without success.

Also have used repositioning (when possible) which had the gobbler come in fairly quickly after the reposition.

Silence has worked too but that takes a long time from going silent to the gobbler coming in.

zelmo1

Solo, back off 40 yards and yelp and gobble. If he responds, purring. With a partner, I will walk off 180 degrees from him with my partner in the original spot. Yelp and cutt. Z Success rate is 20-35% ish.

g8rvet

Depends on what hung up means to you.  I have had more than a couple of birds take over an hour to come 1-200 yards.  My most successful did not end in a kill.  Son was young and we struck a bird with about 2 hours to go.  Got in position and called him to about 100 yards.  He would not budge for an hour, but would not leave either.  We backed out, looped around out of the pines into a scrub oak flat and he broke and came to the first yelp. Got him to about 25 yards and son did not take shot with about 15 minutes to spare (long story). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

GobbleNut

Write down every tactic for a hung up gobbler you can think of on pieces of paper and carry them with you when hunting.  When you get in a situation where you are confronted with a hung up bird, reach in your pocket and grab one of those papers and try that tactic.  Your chances are probably as good as any.   ;D
Point:  Gobblers are the ones who decide what they are waiting to hear, or not...and often if they have hung up THEY have decided there is a very good reason they have chosen not to advance closer,...and only they know what that reason is.  Take your best shot and hope it works...   ;D :D

cgarner1

The thing that works most consistently for me is going silent if time and place allows. I've had them take up to an hour before slipping in. You really have to be still and alert the whole time too. Other things I've had work have been changing up calls, Jake yelps, fighting purrs, and wrapping a good Ol rubber band around a box call and gobbling on it. Like all things in regard to wild turkeys, nothing is a guarantee and way more times than not it doesn't work out even after running through the whole bag of tricks