North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Season start?

Started by JeffC, March 06, 2024, 07:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lacire

Quote from: JeffC on April 08, 2024, 04:14:19 PM
Congrats again, great story and picture!! Now what about your sons Tom? I know, I'm needy, but you posted that great picture of the 2 of you with 2 Toms!!

Well I wasn't going to say anything about his because his was bigger  :TooFunny:. But he shot it about an hour after I shot mine. We were slowly driving back down the mountain when we heard a turkey gobble high up on our left, we stopped and my son stuck a call outside the window and called and the tom responded. We pulled up another two hundred feet and here he was coming down out of a tree line to meet us. My son got out, loaded his gun, walked behind the car and disappeared through the brush. I put my range finder on him and he was 106 yards away and the tree line was about 20 yards above him. I sat in the car and watched the tom, he didn't like the looks of the car sitting there and turned around and started making his way back up. Every time he took a step I'd make a few clucks on a push pin call and he'd stop, turnaround and stair at the car, I must have did this five or six times and it was long enough for my son to close the gap and put him down. He measured out at 66.16, 22.16 lbs, 1.25 R and L spurs and a 9.5 inch beard. Here's a picture of the spurs on his bird.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

JeffC

Sometimes you just get lucky and bump into them. Tell your son awesome job on your turkey and his! Sounds like it was a week of great memories, thanks for the stories.  :z-winnersmiley:

austinc

I tried last night to post pics and even with 1 pic it says they're to large... and I for the life of me cam not figure out how to make them smaller on my phone lol. Will one of you fellas mind posting them for me if I send them to ya?

JeffC

Quote from: austinc on April 09, 2024, 09:49:16 AM
I tried last night to post pics and even with 1 pic it says they're to large... and I for the life of me cam not figure out how to make them smaller on my phone lol. Will one of you fellas mind posting them for me if I send them to ya?

sent you my email, let me know if you cant email will send phone#

JeffC

Great job Austin, will up date score page tonight. So now we need some story to go along with the pictures!!

JeffC

We are into 2nd week of April, we have 3 birds on the board, who is hunting? who is going to be hunting soon?? I will be heading out April 22nd. Need everyone to check in and let us know you are still on the team!!  It would also be great if you all would congratulate the guys who put the birds on the board!!! 

:turkey2:       :funnyturkey:

HillclimberWV

Youth day is saturday and opener is monday for me. Ive been marking off my calendar at work like a kid at christmas.

Muzzy61

Quote from: austinc on April 09, 2024, 09:49:16 AM

Congrats on a good bird.

HillclimberWV

Got my butt kicked today. Was within 100 yards of 3 toms from fly down till a thunderstorm rolled in around 11 and they cleared out. Woods are still really open and could never close the distance. Even after looping around them. It was fun though glad to be back in the woods.

JeffC

At least you heard and are into where Toms are, keep after them, thanks for the update. Good luck with them.

notsure

My season starts on the 24th. Long range weather looks good. Fingers crossed.

austinc

I've had my butt kicked the last 2 days, I been camping out, but came home tonight for a hot shower and a hot meal. Heading back in the morning for a couple days.

JeffC

Keep after them, can change in a minute! Good luck and thanks for the update.

Spellnj3

So I'm a week in and absolutely striking out.   All 4 of my properties have less to no turkeys this year.   I might be shut out this year boys.   I'm out of town for one week and a half for my sons two baseball tournaments, one in state and one in Orlando.  Hopefully when I get back luck will change.

austinc

I killed one this morning,  think it'll score a smidgen higher, I'll check and if so I'll get the pics up.