turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

An appreciation for old school duds

Started by Sanders153, February 27, 2024, 12:12:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanders153

In vein with the recent posts talking about the history of camo and due to discovering that there many fellow OG members like myself who like and even prefer the older original style camo patterns, I would like to share a find I made recently.

I was first introduced to hunting via elk and mule deer hunting in Colorado at about 5 years old by my grandfather. From that time until 13 years old when I could hunt most of the day on my own, I would follow him through the section of San Juan Range of the Rockies we hunted each Fall, and learn all that I could from Him on woodsmanship and skills for the hunt on each outing I could spend doing so.

This was the early 90's through the the late 90's, and I remember distinctively that he always wore an old original M-65 field coat in woodland camo, and a canvas brimmed hat in Realtee Original. I also remember seeing those old canvas type brimmed hats on other hunters in stores and around town when I was growing up. After looking for a little bit, I managed to come across one of those same style hats in Original Realtree Greenleaf on ebay. Made by the old Spartan products brand with the tag still attached that shows it manufacturered in 1993.

I thought of my grandfather pretty quick as soon as I saw it, and had to get it. I can't think of a better piece of Headwear for the Spring woods that this cool old school style.

Does anyone else remember these hats back in the 90's? I don't see them anymore so I imagine they went out of production shortly after then. If anybody any stories about remembrances of old camo pieces like this, I would enjoy hearing about them

Sanders153

762hunter

That too cool!
Especially the history behind it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMP

I don't recall those hats.  But I do recall that pattern.  I still have my Realtree camo from that era.  A coat, bibs, and two pair or chamois pants in that pattern.

I also still have a full set of Realtree (original) Advantage camo, which I think is one of the best camo patterns ever made.  I was wearing Realtree Advantage when a rabbit got within touching distance, and when a squirrel actually got on me coming down a tree.

I also have a full set of Mossy Oak Original Breakup.

I love the vintage camos.  Here's one of my vintage hats:

Tom007

I hunted Rios in the 90's with my brother at the King Ranch. I got this hat in Woodland Camo there, I liked the camo and Logo with the Snake and Cactus. It turned out to be very fitting on one of our hunts when I sat down in some cactus next to these guys. I was lucky it was cold, I didn't get bit........Woodland camo was and still is a great pattern for sure, I also noticed I'm wearing Tiger Stripe camo pants. I loved that Army camo......

eggshell

Here's a resized picture of the hat.

Link to simple and free resizing

https://imageresizer.com/

Turkeybutt

Got this old hat many years ago I guess back in the 90's as well. It's RealTree in Hardwoods Camo.
It's comfortable and that's what counts!

Turkeybutt

Think I bought this back 40 years ago, maybe more. Wear it to go scouting or at times trout fishing. Bought it in some old country store up alone Pine Creek in Penna. Called that store some weeks ago looking to see if they still sold these hats but no such luck!

Old Swamper

My collection of original Mossy Oak camo I bought back in the 80's and early 90's, would bring close to $10,000 on ebay today. I hunt every piece to this day. Hell, Ive got 3 grand alone, in the 3 pocket, button up jackets the pinhoti fanboys are acting like high school girls over right now ;D My luck has run out on my stash of bowhunter, short billed hats though. Pup of mine shredded the last one. Would like to find another, as this is all I have ever hunted in. That old stuff was extremely well made right here in the usa, and held its color very well, especially if you took care of it. Nothing makes you "blend" better in a southern hardwoods bottom, than that old stuff. 

RED NECK

This hat was my grandfathers and he has been gone since Nov/97, I wear it waterfowl hunting opening morning every year and I have worn it a few times while bow hunting long beards but I try and keep it for special hunts, he was an avid waterfowler.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

g8rvet

I was cleaning out my closet and found that exact hat from the OP this week.  I bought it for duck hunting, but when quick rising for a shot, the hood on my parka would knock the hat off kilter.  So I just thought I would use it for turkey hunting.  Then I realized if I leaned back on a tree it would do the same.  I forgot I even had it.  I may dust it off as I mostly hunt from a lounge style chair now and it should work well for that.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sanders153

Quote from: g8rvet on February 27, 2024, 12:37:16 PM
I was cleaning out my closet and found that exact hat from the OP this week.  I bought it for duck hunting, but when quick rising for a shot, the hood on my parka would knock the hat off kilter.  So I just thought I would use it for turkey hunting.  Then I realized if I leaned back on a tree it would do the same.  I forgot I even had it.  I may dust it off as I mostly hunt from a lounge style chair now and it should work well for that.

I was thinking the same thing about the brim if I leaned back on a tree, but I figured I'd just take it off if needed and use my face mask, it can go over the whole head anyway. The brim is flexible and can bend down to if it needed to. I know I'll value that brim for a little more sun protection and shade

g8rvet

It works well and is definitely nice on a drizzly or dewy day.  I don't sit with my back on a tree as much these days, so it should work fine now. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Sanders153

Quote from: RED NECK on February 27, 2024, 09:57:10 AM
This hat was my grandfathers and he has been gone since Nov/97, I wear it waterfowl hunting opening morning every year and I have worn it a few times while bow hunting long beards but I try and keep it for special hunts, he was an avid waterfowler.

That is a very special hat my friend. I would cherish something like that just as much to. It looks awesome to boot. They just don't make quality pieces like that anymore hardly.

Kylongspur88

I'm still rocking my circa late 90s duxsback real tree advantage jacket my parents bought me when I was in high school. My pants are usually ripstop woodland bdu's. I've got a 20 year old mossy oak boonie hat that's still going strong.