OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Perfect Call- Perfect Sound

Started by bornagain64, February 23, 2024, 08:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bornagain64

I used to purchase new calls every year, I finally stopped a few years ago- and came to realize something for me.
We are all looking for that perfect turkey sound: each type of call- striker, pot, box, scratch box, mouth call, locator calls.... All sound different depending on the woods, sound boards and dimensions- change something small and it changes that sound. But we are all looking for a certain sound that we think sounds like a turkey, a little different for everyone. Some like more rasp, some like it louder or clearer....
I realize we need a " few hens in the vest"- different sound. ( I used to carry 3 pots, dozen strikers, box and several mouth calls.)
It just comes down to liking the sound of your call and being able to make the right call at the right time.
At least that is what I am coming to realize.
I was not addicted to buying calls every year, but thought I was gonna miss out on " that perfect sound" if I did not purchase any.

troutfisher13111

I think one should purchase a quality call and learn the instrument. I believe becoming extremely proficient with the right one call will serve you better than being decent on a variety of calls. Learn that call completely, and you can get that "perfect" sound you're looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

100% agree with everything above. I do not carry a lot of calls, but I carry a few that have different sounds/tones. Sometimes that Old Boy won't answer until you pull out the one he wants to hear.....

Happy

I personally don't subscribe to the arguments that one should carry 19 calls just because "you never know which one a gobbler will respond to." Experience has taught me that if I take a handful of mouth calls and a wingbone or trumpet, then I am pretty well covered. If I feel really frisky, then maybe a pot call as well. I believe cadence triggers gobbling more than tone. I have no aspirations of being a contestant caller, but give me my choice of 3 diaphragms and a wingbone, and I feel like I have all I need to make it a game.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

Regardless of the type of calls and sounds your looking for just practice and become proficient with your selection of calls ... Cadence and good hunting tactics kill gobblers some / most of the time. The more time you spend chasing them, the more you learn. IMO .. I do like a selection of calls myself.. I've seen days the tone difference of that one call can make the difference in getting him to gobble. IMO

paboxcall

Run light these days. Long box, a suction yelper, a mouth call. All bases are covered.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Zobo

There is no perfect sound, or call. People buy calls for different reasons. I don't buy a new call looking for a perfect sound because I know there's no such thing. I like the craft and I like buying from people I admire and have a history with, a meeting, a memory, a conversation etc. I guess I'm sentimental. As far as need, I had all the calls I would ever need many years ago. I'm not a call collector but I like a variety, and the memories they evoke.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tail Feathers

I went to Nashville and didn't even look at box or pot calls.  I have enough, I can't use em all in a season.  I carry quite a few mouth calls and a couple of pot calls these days.  I haven't found perfection yet so I decided to be happy with excellent.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ol bob

The perfect call, is the one that the person standing in front of your table at a show likes, 99% of calls will call a turkey.

zelmo1

I think you should use what works for you. I am trying to learn the trumpet and wingbone this year. I also have plenty of calls and get the best for my style of hunting. I carry a box call for mostly locating, so if I am hunting with my wife first thing in the morning, I don't really need the box. My pots I use for purring and soft tree yelps. My pushpin is a great combination of them all. My mouth calls are for hands free use. I try to get proficient on all the calls I could use, but different tones and cadence are needed sometimes. I want to be a " boy scout" hunter, be prepared for all you can encounter. Just my  :z-twocents: Z

g8rvet

Some of the ugliest calling I have heard have been from a live hen. 

I am learning the trumpet this year as well.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Zobo

As a kid, I helped a mason build a stone chimney. I hoisted the stones from the ground to the roof with a bucket, a rope and a rusty pulley. You wouldn't believe the number of turkey I called in using that squeaky contraption.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

slave601

To me cadence over sound. Cadence and rhythm in cutting and yelping strikes and kills more birds than a sweet sound. If that makes sense
"thinnin the flock"

ScottTaulbee

I used to look like a walking call maker's convention my first hand full of years hunting these things, but I noticed after the first few dozen, that the only thing I was using from strike to gun was a mouth call. Nowadays I carry 1 pot, a couple strikers, a variety of mouth calls, and sometimes a trumpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

I don't carry a lot of calls but I don't carry just one either.  I've killed a few that didn't like mouth calls or didn't like pots. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.