turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

835 & hevi -13

Started by dirt road ninja, July 11, 2011, 11:15:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt road ninja

Looking for some opinions on #6 vs. #7 out of my 835. I am currently shooting a IC .675 and Hevi-13 #6's 2.25 oz load. The gun is a honest & consistant 220 to 230 pellet count in 10" @ 40yrds. My 20" pattern is ok, not great, but I have zero problems in the woods. Most of the shots I get are inside of 40yrds. I have only shot 2 birds in recent memory past 40, but I like knowing that if needed my gun is capable way past that. I hate to fix something that's not broke, but I like the patterns that I see posted here with the 7's. I know that 7's will kill them to the same degree of dead. Is it advisable to switch or stay with the old load? It does appear that the 7's 20" patterns look better in the pic's I've seen here then what I am getting.

I would like to keep with the Hevi -13's as they are easy to find around the house.

drenalinld

I would love to have 220's with 6's, but I understand where you're coming from with the 20" numbers. the 7's might give you a little more forgiving pattern with the right choke.

Gobble!

Give the 7s a try. I made the switch from 6s to 7s and am glad I did.

mossy835

Quote from: slickyboyboo on July 11, 2011, 11:28:50 AM
Consistent 220-230s at 40 yrds are killer, and have plenty of umph and pattern. I wouldn't mess with them. My 870 SM will average mid to upper 230s all day long with 2 1/4 oz H13 #6s, so I know I have something to go back on, if I ever, for some reason, can't load my own.

The real answer is what do you feel confident in. If you feel confident killing birds with #6s, stay there, if you feel more confident with #7s, go for it. You won't know how it patterns until you shoot some. I would also try the Mag Blends too, you might be surprised what your gun will throw.

Like stated above you could use the mag blends, the 6 or 7 shot. I used the mag blend 3 inch last year and they are deadly. We did pattern them at 30 and 40 yards but I did not count the holes as the pattern was tight enough to sparrow hunt with. My 835 like the mag blend the 6 and 7 shot well enough that I will hunt with any of the three. I use a Carlson's .690 turkey choke for all turkey loads! I think it depends on each person and their gun's preference so the only thing to do is try all three on the pattern board to see what you are getting then shoot your preference load.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: slickyboyboo on July 11, 2011, 11:28:50 AM
Consistent 220-230s at 40 yrds are killer, and have plenty of umph and pattern. I wouldn't mess with them. My 870 SM will average mid to upper 230s all day long with 2 1/4 oz H13 #6s, so I know I have something to go back on, if I ever, for some reason, can't load my own.

The real answer is what do you feel confident in. If you feel confident killing birds with #6s, stay there, if you feel more confident with #7s, go for it. You won't know how it patterns until you shoot some. I would also try the Mag Blends too, you might be surprised what your gun will throw.

That's about the truth if in fact your getting that consistently.  The point in switching is really going to be moot.  Both are gonna kill about the same distance even if you were to switch and get say 300 shot in the 10".  The 6's are definately going to have more power.  But I do like the patterns I get with the 7's.  It sure ain't going to hurt anything by trying a box and seeing what you think on paper.  I just like to see for myself, that's why I tried them in the first place.  They definately will give you the denser patterns.  

dirt road ninja

I have 1 #6 left. If I get a chance this week will p/u a box of #7's and try them. I'll shoot the last 6 and a few 7's. This time I will bring a camera along with me and take pic's to post. It's probably a good idea to have the pic's achehived on my computer anyway. I never seem to be able to find old targets when I look for them in the garage.

goblr77

Just a matter of personal preference. Both are great loads.

trkehunr93

#7's for me.  It puts a hurtin' on them at 10 yards out to 45 yards from my experience this past season.  835's like the Star-Dot if you can find one, mine put out great patterns thru a Jelly Head as well.  Every gun is different though.

Todd1700

Well I tell you. If I were getting over 200 pellets inside 10 inches at 40 yards with Hevi shot 6's I'd be tickled to death. Despite the never ending quest for higher and higher pellet counts there is no way a turkeys head is going to survive in a swarm of that many 6's. And I have to believe 6's will deliver more thump than a load of 7's at longer ranges.

dirt road ninja

Found a box of 7's not to far away from home. I am picking them up Sat. and off to the range. The last time I shot my turkey gun was about a month ago to pattern a friends 1300. Brought mine along to try some of his ammo, but before we left we shot one of my #6's. Found the target last night and it was a 219. If I took better care drawing the circle it would have been a few (not many) pellets higher. A very dead bird. Can't wait to see the 7's numbers. I hope the 20" inch numbers look good. I will also bring along the camara to post results.