OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New to Bowhunting - Need Advice

Started by Solid Snake, July 11, 2011, 10:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

Usually you get about 2 lb decrease in draw weight with each turn of the limb screws. I would suggest backing the limb screws out 3 or 4 turns which should put you around 65 to 67 lbs. The important thing is to count turns and back each limb screw off the exact same # of turns. Also, if they are 70# limbs you don't want to go below 60#.

I bet you will be surprised how much it can help. You can build up the poundage later one turn at a time if you think it's necessary, but you can kill deer all day with much less than 70#.

Good luck and keep us posted if this helps.

savedbygrace

Quote from: Shaw24 on July 11, 2011, 10:34:37 AM
I just bought my first bow. Didn't want to spend a lot of money so I got a used Bear Lights Out for $200 ready to hunt....almost. I need to buy arrows, a release, and a target.

Anyone have any advice for a beginner??

Already some great advice given so I'll add a few (may be what's already been posted).

1. Make sure your draw length is correct. For a rough figure, when you draw your bow the nock of your arrow should be under your right eye (if you're right handed). If the nock is past your eye, your DL is too long.
2. This will come with time, but make sure you dont torque your bow when you shoot. Use a wrist sling and allow the bow to "jump" out of your hand after the shot.
3. Make sure your arrow spine is correct.
4. Dont try to draw too much weight. You should be able to point towards the ground and draw your bow back without having to heave on it.
5. consistency in archery is key. develop a few anchor points when shooting and stick with them.
6. most of all...have fun.

savedbygrace

Quote from: Shaw24 on September 27, 2011, 07:06:24 AM
Quote from: drenalinld on August 18, 2011, 12:06:25 PM
Shaw24, how are you liking the bow?
I have a hard time keeping the pin steady on the bullseye when I'm at full draw - I mean it's not wondering all over the place but it's harder than I thought to keep it steady on my bullseye at 30.

dont try to hold the pin steady on your target. Its impossible and plus youll start punching the trigger or "drive by" shooting. instead let the pin float around the target and concentrate on making a good smooth release and keeping good form and not torquing the bow. focus on the target and let the pin be blurry as well.

archery1

Quote from: fallhnt on July 12, 2011, 01:17:19 PM
Make sure your bow is set up for your draw length.You will shoot better and have more fun.A real pro shop can help get you set up.
exactly.. get urself into a good pro shop.. not one that just wants to sell stuff to u... get in...soak up all the advice u can.. shoot and have fun... practice is ur friend...
have fun an b safe
Take a kid hunting

joshb311

Everything posted is sound information to be sure. Don't over-bow yourself on the draw weight. There's no point in shooting a 70lb draw on a bow if you're not accurate.

Uncle Ted Nugent said it best. "It's not important to shoot the fastest, highest draw weight bow. What is important is being able to be graceful with your bow and your shot. A 40lb bow can be just as deadly as a 70lb bow in the right hands."