OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Returning to the pump.

Started by Gooserbat, January 25, 2024, 01:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

Quote from: Old Swamper on January 26, 2024, 09:51:00 AM
Never seen any good reason to leave my old 870.
Ditto.  Bought a 870 Turkey Express back in the early 1990s.  No regrets. 

CALLM2U

Every few months I get that urge to buy a semiauto, but I keep remembering the four 870s I have and how they have been flawless for the better part of 40 years and wonder why I would want to abandon them.   

Maybe one day I'll get weak and slip up and buy an auto loader.

Zobo

Same here. I've been 870 guy my whole turkey hunting life. I will admit there are better options than a pump action while you're crumpled up on the ground, but fortunately I don't often need a follow up shot. The weight doesn't thrill me either, but I've grown attached to the thing through the years and as they say.."if it ain't broke.."
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Gman

I also have an 870 Super Mag with the original wooden thumbhole stock (NOT the Shurshot) that is covered in MOBU camo (all metal & all wood) from the factory. I've never fired a 3.5" magnum shell out of it & I bought it new. As a matter of fact, there have only been 6 shots fired from this shotgun. 3" shells have never handicapped me from harvesting toms. But........ carrying a 5.6 lb Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge sure is nice compared to the heavy "cannon like" 870.

YoungGobbler

I like pump shotgun. I love it when I can action the pump and do a second shot on a second prey. The shlack-schlack... pawf... Is something in itself that I remember long after the hunt is done... And I like it that it's a bit slow (slower than a auto). You can control when and where you eject the empty shell, how fast you need to chamber the next round... And for my needs, I don't need something faster than that, it's enough. And I like to see that people here are fans of the 870s... That's what I have and i love it... I call it a tank...

Spurs Up

I have dedicated turkey shotguns in every legal action (except bolt action).  When I'm traveling and can't afford a gun to fail, I pick a pump every time. A double barrel is my second choice. My semi-autos don't travel far from home and then have a backup nearby.

Greg Massey

I have pumps and enjoy them, but as I have gotten older I sure do like my auto guns .... LOL

budtripp

So after I already posted here about the 700s, I had a chance to handle a few new production 870s the other day. I was impressed most with the 20 ga wingmaster they had. I almost walked out with it even though I don't need it. The fieldmasters are a step above the old expresses in my opinion, decent matte finish and seemed to have a slick action. I wouldn't hesitate if I were looking for a pump gun.

hootgobbleyelpgobble

Quote from: joey46 on January 26, 2024, 09:55:08 AM
Ditto.  Bought a 870 Turkey Express back in the early 1990s.  No regrets.

x3

I have an 1187 compact I bought just to try to replace my compact 870....had the gun completed with cerakote, red dot, etc and have yet to hunt with it in years. I always reach for the 870 still!

arkrem870

90% of gobblers seem to get killed with the first shot. But when a follow up is needed an auto is nice to have. I duck hunt with an auto and have enjoyed the past 7-8 years with my affinity 20

That said I'd pull one of my 870s out in a heartbeat. I keep one with a turkey choke in it.
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

the Ward

I don't know about the new 870's, but it would be real hard for me to give up my SX4! Maybe for a new style browning A5 16 gauge, or a nice SP10 with the turkey barrel.

jhoward11

Good luck with the new gun. See you all in a couple weeks.

cwhitfield96

After my franchi auto jamming and costing me a Turkey I started using my old 870 Supermag that just sat in its case.Bought a hevi shot choke tube for less than 10 bucks on Rogers and it patterns awesome with LB XR. I like the peace of mind of not worrying if something got caught on the charge handle of an auto resulting in a click when it's go time.

BDeal

I've used both. Hard to beat an auto 20 gauge

Jfowler82

Started with a mossberg 835 I think around 1996 . A few years later I switched to an 870 super mag that I used for years . About 6 years ago I wanted to go lighter and went with the 20 gauge M2 . I loved all of them but I think I found my favorite.