turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Base Layers

Started by wvhoyt19, January 15, 2024, 05:47:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Jeremy

I love this particular merino wool from black ovis. A decent deal at $62 for the next three hours on camofire. Sometimes they're cheaper on there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouri hunter

Kuiu 145s are my favorite but anything with the zip off bottoms are the way to go. I also use the 200 wool polyester blend as well
Sterling Custom Calls, making handcrafted box and trough calls.

Tom007

Quote from: WV Flopper on January 15, 2024, 09:25:31 PM
I suggest setting in the truck until it warms up!

And turn on the heated seat, good call....

Brillo

I use KUIU full zips for almost all my hunting where I expect the day to get warmer.  I am pretty sure they come in both wool or synthetic.  I like both.  I also like the Black Ovis long johns but I don't think they do zip offs. Watch for sales.

PalmettoRon

First Lite or Icebreaker. Like the zip off feature as mentioned on First Lite. If you're a veteran, active duty military, medical or first responder, First Lite offers a Pro plan with 20% off.

Kiui does the same I think for 10%.

Icebreaker offers some decent sales on occasion and is warm and extremely comfortable merino wool.

Badger

I as well use Blackovis, KUIU, and have a Skwala Merino wool top.  I do a fair amount of bow hunting. Staying warm and hopefully scent free is a plus with Merino wool.

Greg Massey

Quote from: WV Flopper on January 15, 2024, 09:25:31 PM
I suggest setting in the truck until it warms up!

AMEN OR AT THE CABIN DRINKING COFFEE ... :TooFunny:     

GOOD Turkey Hunter always has several backup plans .... :TooFunny:

Greg Massey

Rogers Sporting Goods has a zip off base layer on SALE TODAY ....

jhoward11

I bought some base layers from Rural King a couple years ago and they do well for morning coolness and not so bad for later heat.

OJR

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 15, 2024, 06:44:42 PM
Are the First Lite also made off wool? I ask because I am allergic to wool. Thanks.

Steve, from what I know the First Lite base layers are Merino wool. I have some and they are awesome.
KUIU has some that are synthetic.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: mcw3734 on January 15, 2024, 08:54:59 PM

The Kuiu zip-offs look nice, but I thought they had a very weird, baggy feel to them on me. It's the only item of theirs I ever sent back. But... that's also just me.

That was probably their first generation. I had a pair and they were really baggy in the butt/crotch area. I bought that pair in ~2019ish. I have another pair bought in late 2022 and they are much better fitting. They corrected the fit issue.

and to answer the original question, definitely go with some merino zip off bottoms.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: OJR on January 16, 2024, 11:33:03 AM
Are the First Lite also made off wool? I ask because I am allergic to wool. Thanks.

Steve, from what I know the First Lite base layers are Merino wool. I have some and they are awesome.
Thanks, trying to find a good non wool set of base layers.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

aclawrence

I have some merino wool base layers from First Lite, Born Primitive, and a lightweight Merino shirt from Duckworth. They all work great. If you have to stop and take a layer off at some point during the day it's not that big of a deal. Duckworth is expensive but they run some 40-50% off sales every so often.

aclawrence

Another option to consider is a down puffy jacket. I saw someone talking crap on here the other day about leafy jackets but if you have a leafy jacket you can wear over any puffy jacket you have until you warm up. Then you can out the puffy in a stuff sack and toss it in the vest.  They barely weigh anything.

OJR

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 16, 2024, 12:57:53 PM
Quote from: OJR on January 16, 2024, 11:33:03 AM

Thanks, trying to find a good non wool set of base layers.

I also have some EHG Elite tops and bottoms that I like and they are not wool..
Here is a link to them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/EHGELITE/BASELAYER_MATCHINGSETS/page/B80BFD8E-A0ED-4134-AEE9-7FA2390BE3F3