turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old / Older Callers

Started by Greg Massey, September 29, 2023, 10:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Can trumpets, wingbones and other callers go bad over time? The reason I ask, I saw a recent video with Billy Buice checking a trumpet with pressure to see if it still held. Mr Billy was playing his first Ivory caller he made in the video ... The video is under: Vintage Turkey Calls and Literature Collector ... Facebook ....

outdoors

He might be doing that because he has his own specks
I have and still use on occasions my first wingbone I bought
About 13years ago
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

ol bob

No. I have played the Jorden call, and a couple of the Davis calls, and they still sound great, and that about as old as you can get.

Greg Massey

Quote from: ol bob on September 29, 2023, 11:22:22 AM
No. I have played the Jorden call, and a couple of the Davis calls, and they still sound great, and that about as old as you can get.
It was interesting to watch him in the video with the caller .. And they talked about if the caller was still playable ... which it was .... amazing .... thanks Bob..

crow

I had a trumpet that drew air nice and then it didn't, a tiny hole opened up at a knot in the wood ( a knot-hole, but the knot didn't come out just must have shrank) causing air leakage, CA glue fixed that.

I don't see internals changing, unless the wood wasn't properly cured.
Air leakage could be possible if glue came loose holding in mouthpiece.

crow

Last year a very nice trumpet for sound/air draw changed. A stinkbug had crawled up inside partially blocking air-draw and sound

Greg Massey

Quote from: crow on September 29, 2023, 11:38:28 AM
Last year a very nice trumpet for sound/air draw changed. A stinkbug had crawled up inside partially blocking air-draw and sound

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: This would only happen to you, you have got to stop leaving your callers in tal garage ...  :TooFunny:

Yoder409

What did you notice first ??  The change in draw ??  The change in sound ??  Or the change in taste ???
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

greentrout

I think Mr. Billy was only checking because it was made of ivory. That was my guess anyway.
Looking to buy Allen Dunfee scratch boxes.

tal

I've been looking for my pet stinkbug.

EZ

Quote from: Greg Massey on September 29, 2023, 01:46:28 PM

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: This would only happen to you, you have got to stop leaving your callers in tal garage ...  :TooFunny:

A "stink bug baffle"!!!! Hmmmm....the wheels are turning  ;D

davisd9

I am sure like anything if not taken care of then issues can arises. Most are made of woods and environmental issues can cause problems without proper care. Renaissance Wax protects calls outside and mineral oil inside.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Bedge7767

He didn't use metal threads in that call. He turned the ivory to fit and he was just checking the threads of the ivory.
Jim

Ranger

He was checking for an occlusion. Ivory can change with small cracks becoming big problems if not stored properly or from just change in the pressure from turning the ivory. Even if the crack isn't all the way through the expansion can make big changes in pitch and tone. Nothing I knew, learned this from Dewey Johnson
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on September 29, 2023, 03:49:30 PM
I am sure like anything if not taken care of then issues can arises. Most are made of woods and environmental issues can cause problems without proper care. Renaissance Wax protects calls outside and mineral oil inside.

How are you putting mineral oil on the inside of the wood trumpets ... Care to tell us ?