OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gettin' back to my roots in hunting........

Started by rempumpman, July 06, 2011, 01:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rempumpman

I hunt on a religious basis but most of my hunting over the years have been bowhunting; I love to bowhunt and will continue BUT this year I am going to do ALOT more gun hunting not only for deer but also alot of small game hunting as well; I kinda of getting tired of what I "smell" like, making sure that all of my hunting clothes have been washed in "no-scent" detergent and once washed, to make sure that they are stored in a safe place that no other odors can dirty them up again, and well you all know what needs to be done in order to bowhunt; now, I will continue to bowhunt this year but will not bowhunt all year like in the past; cleaned up the ol' shootin' irons and will buy alot more ammo this year and get back to what I truly enjoy, just plain hunting;

Love the smell of gun powder and hope to put alot more of the meat that I have missed out on in recent years; may God have mercy on the sqiuirrels, rabbits and the quail, and the ducks because I am coming back................. :z-guntootsmiley:
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

davisd9

Good Luck.  I hope you do well.  Nothing wrong with bringing out the old gun for some fun!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mnturkey

Might surprise yourself to realize what you are missing.
SEMPER FI

honker22

People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

drenalinld

Good luck! I did that same thing this Spring. The last several I have only bowhunted for turkeys and killed several, but this Spring I carried the shotgun part of the time and boy was it fun!!! :z-guntootsmiley:

dirt road ninja

Reloader

Go get em!

I only start with bow because it opens first.  Then MLer, then rifle, back to Mler, and close it out with bow again.  I hunt from start to finish with what ever legal weapon is allowed.  Gives me an excuse for more toys I guess. I like bow hunting, but would probably give it up if it didn't open early or stay open later.  There comes a point after slaying enough critters that you really don't care what weapon your toting, you care more about just being there.

I hear ya on the bow hunting prep.  Sure, playing the wind is one thing, but you never know how many directions it will blow here.  I get a little anal about scent control in bow season.   I like the gun seasons for more relaxed hunting and fun with friends. 

WyoHunter

I love to hunt! I'm an avid bowhunter and firearms hunter. Bowhunting whitetails and shotgunning for turkeys are my two favorites but I also like my rifle hunting for antelope, deer and elk. When my dear Greta, my Drahthaar, was alive we both loved to hunt pheasants, grouse and an occasional rabbit. Hunting has been my lifelong passion.  :icon_thumright: :cowboy:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Preacher

Romans 8:37

drenalinld

You've got me thinking of possibilities. Wouldn't it be fun to take some game with dad's and grandad's guns!!! That would be a nice break from the bowhunting every day of gun season.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Odessa

Sounds like fun to me - I try to do a little of it all each year.  I am most serious about deer and turkey - I log the most days hunting those two species, but make two or three rabbit hunts over beagles each year, a least one upland game hunt and several waterfowl hunts.  The hunts when you are with other hunters, laughing and talking as you hunt, sure adds the old social aspect that I enjoyed with my Dad, Uncle Fred and brothers when I was young.
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

rempumpman

Did anyone ever notice how much fun it was when you and dad,maybe grandpa, went to squirrel "camp"? when I was growing up, EVERY october dad and I went on a 3 to 4 day squirrel hunt together along with freinds and other family members; it was a christian camp with no drinking, foul language, or smoking and it would take too long to tell the stories I have during this time; I haven't done that now in over 25 years,....way too long......; been looking at some pop up campers to buy and been telling my grandson and granddaughter about starting a new tradition;

Can't wait to start "squirrel camp" again....................rem
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.