OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fly down

Started by zelmo1, August 25, 2023, 09:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wigsplitter

2 for 6 this year -33% but I'd say overall more like 10-20%

Mossberg90MN

An actual number is hard, but man on the right bird it can be a cake walk.

It's one of those things that happen enough to keep you doing it. But not enough that you feel it's a guarantee haha

I did think about some actual numbers and at the start of my season I hunted 7 days straight, roost hunts every time.

I called in off the roost twice.

Day one, group of Jakes.
Day 2-6, went the other way, ignored me etc...
Day 7, sealed the deal.

I suppose it is somewhere around that 10%-20% margin.

I think some guys have really keyed in on roost hunting have odds closer to 45%

It's probably my favorite part of turkey hunting.

You never know, that bird you roosted, might be that 10-20 margin and come right in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Distance to a roosted bird is a fluid situation. If I have him pinpointed, I will be in at 00000 dark 30 and get in extremely tight. If its the general area, I hang back, 100 yards minimum. As soon as they gobble, I might make one move if its still dark, but I am pretyy much where I will stay when they start gobbling. I am very passive when they are roosted, just a hello I'm here call. I get more aggressive later in the morning. IIts hard to change a birds mind on the ground at fly down and I am in it for the day usually, no need to blow them out of an area. Its interesting to see the range of success rates here. I wonder if the locations have more of an impact than timing. I love stretching my brain as it is old and creaky, lol. Z :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey:

Dougas

I would like to clarify that when I say off the roost, it is after the fly down happens.

Yoder409

Pretty sure we're all on the same page.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

jhoward11

Roost hunting...Hmmm. If you're talking dropping in your lap, then 3 in 30 yrs. If you're talking with in the first half hour after day lite, then a few more. Most an hour or two after day break, or after that.

eggshell

I do not even target birds right off the roost usually in the spring. I often don't even leave the truck until gobbling starts. If I know a specific bird is roosted somewhere I will go in 00 dark 30 and set up, but it isn't my norm. I'd say 5% or less of my birds are off the roost within the first 45 minutes of daylight. Now in the fall I want to be right in their bedroom and whispering in their ear, it's way more important on fall gobblers. Instead of love talk whispered into their ear, I'm saying, "This is my woods, get out before I kick your arse" or "me and the boys are going to breakfast buffet, you coming".

Hook hanger

I used to have one spot i would take people where I would stay back from the roost as to not disturb it. Always multiple gobblers and hens in it. We would set up west of the roost because that is the way the turkeys always traveled. It was very successful and alot of gobblers got shot over the years. I gave credit to staying away from the roost as to not to disturb them. Early on we had shot a double right near the roost trees and birds didn't use them for 2 weeks straight learned really quickly we could sit back a ways and kill 4-5 in 2 weeks than trying to kill a double up just once in a season in that spot.
  Another farm you could sit and kill them the moment they landed in the field where they flew down like clock work every time and didn't faze them at all when you were less than 100yds from trees they roosted in.
  These farms over last 30+ years have been that way and yes the population has lowered over that time but stillhave enough to put on a good show. It was quite a sight to scout these roosts before season and watch 18 longbearded easterns strut around each other in the heyday. It made turkey hunting seem easy.

zelmo1

All I know is that I want to hunt with Yoder at fly down, LOL. Here, there, anywhere. I dont have the stealth, the only way I get in that tight is to be in very early. Z

Yoder409

Quote from: zelmo1 on September 01, 2023, 06:03:12 AM
All I know is that I want to hunt with Yoder at fly down, LOL. Here, there, anywhere.

:TooFunny:

Quote from: zelmo1I dont have the stealth, the only way I get in that tight is to be in very early. Z

The question was about what one's success rate at fly down............. NOT what the method or secret was TO that rate.   ;)

You just MIGHT be on to something.....................   ::) ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Hook hanger

Quote from: zelmo1 on September 01, 2023, 06:03:12 AM
All I know is that I want to hunt with Yoder at fly down, LOL. Here, there, anywhere. I dont have the stealth, the only way I get in that tight is to be in very early. Z

That's probably 90% of a successful roost hunt. They are awake before they ever make the first gobble. I like to be close enough to watch him stand up and look around before he stretchs his wings. I would bet most gobblers are awake 15-20 minutes before they ever gobble.

zelmo1

The 15-20 minute time frame seems accurate. All the info I have gathered in my short life is consistent with what you posted. Thats why I like to be in early. Z

topnotch

Favorite part of the hunt is the response on the limb and the anticipation of dawn.
Usually when they fly to me, the landing is behind me ????

Yoder409

Quote from: Hook hangerThey are awake before they ever make the first gobble. I like to be close enough to watch him stand up and look around before he stretchs his wings. I would bet most gobblers are awake 15-20 minutes before they ever gobble.

You, sir, are diggin' where there's taters.    :icon_thumright:

PA elitist since 1979

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: GobbleNut on August 25, 2023, 09:39:56 AM
I haven't really kept tabs on the percentage (if I did, I would probably give up roost hunting...   ;D ), but looking back over the years, I would say 10% would be in the ballpark.
For me, roost hunting is more about the anticipation
This!!! Agreed. :icon_thumright:

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk