OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Feather Ridge Auto Stretcher

Started by HILBY72, August 24, 2023, 10:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HILBY72

I just ordered a Thad's auto stretch hand jig and am curious if anyone has a good starting point on side tension? I usually run a batwing or combo cut with a .003 top reed but looking for any info or advice anyone would want to share. I am not looking for anyone's secrets just maybe a little advice. Thanks 

HILBY72

Thanks anyway guys, I pretty much figured I would not get much response.

Boone

GobbleNut

Sorry I couldn't help you out with your question...because I don't use any sort of tension measuring device.  The only (hopefully) helpful comment I would make based on my personal experience making calls, is that I can say pretty confidently that the amount of tension you put in your calls is only one of a number of factors that is going to impact the sound you will be able to produce out of any individual call you make. 

As such, I would just suggest that you spend some time experimenting with different tensions in the materials you use...and also in the combinations of materials and other call-construction factors such as reed materials, reed numbers, reed spacing, and cuts.  Each and every one of them have an impact on how any one individual call will sound.   :icon_thumright:

Terry

You're gonna have to try different stretches and figure out what you like, just like cuts. I like mine pretty loose, so I start at .150 on that same hand jig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earlybird31

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I usually operate between .150 and .170, but I like a light stretch. That gives me enough backbone to cut, while allowing soft calling (2.5 reeds).
Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think - Moliere

compton30

Quote from: Earlybird31 on January 31, 2024, 11:26:13 AM
Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I usually operate between .150 and .170, but I like a light stretch. That gives me enough backbone to cut, while allowing soft calling (2.5 reeds).

+1 and at the very least a good starting point!