OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall Turkey Hunting

Started by North Mountain Gear, August 23, 2023, 12:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: quavers59 on August 25, 2023, 06:08:41 AM
   About 6 Weeks ago or so,I made a large Turkey Dusting Pit up here in New York. I come back once a week to stir the top soil up again. The Big Birds have visited as there is plenty of Turkey Sign. And,I keep the surrounding area free of Limbs, and Branches of all Sizes. 3rd Week in October  is the Fall Opening Day. Hope to bag a Fat Hen or a feisty Jake.
Never heard of making a dusting pit before, you'll have to tell me more sometime. Seeing that the season starts so late hopefully my foot will let me put it in a bit by then and I'll be able to hunt after all. I have to see what the doctor has to say though.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Kylongspur88

I love fall hunting as much as spring. Even if I'm bow hunting I've got calls with me. I've killed a few gobblers in the fall and it's a blast. Birds are super vocal and fun to watch that time of year.

Dougas

Hello, first time posting here. I have hunted the fall season here in mid coastal Oregon for many years. I'm especially excited this year. I purchased a new shotgun, sight, choke and ammo. So, I can't wait to try it out.
Our season this year is a daily bag limit of 2 turkeys either sex with a yearly limit of 2 turkeys either sex and it runs from the first of September to the end of January, so deer and elk season can be hunted and still have a ton of time to turkey hunt. I save one tag for a tom and one for what ever I come across. I like eating turkey, so the last week I will take what ever I can.

crow

Quote from: North Mountain Gear on August 23, 2023, 12:37:30 PM
Where is our fall turkey hunters at? I'm interested in seeing some more content about it as there is not much available online. Anyone have a good fall turkey hunting story to tell?

A fall story,
Slipping along a finger ridge I saw a gobbler feeding out of range on a parallel ridge, waited for him to get out of sight, set up against a big white oak and gave 2 deep clucks. No response, waited awhile and then gobbler yelped to him, still nothing. Waited another hour and nothing snuck in, was about to get up but I Jake yelped several times and heard a yelp come up from the bottom.

I repositioned, yelped back and heard an immediate answer yelp. This went back and forth and finally saw a Jake coming up, when almost in range he went off the side out of sight, then got behind me on my offside and could hear him going back and forth looking for the turkey and yelping.

I switched the gun to left handed and slowly turned, still couldn't see him but could hear the yelps.
A tree had fallen over into another tree, both still in the air but it bent the 2nd tree over so it had a 12 foot long horizontal section, he had walked up the slanted tree onto the horizontal tree and was walking back and forth from one end to the other yelping once in a while.

This was straight behind me and even left handed it had me cranked around, when he got to the closest open spot I shot him and had a good ending to a very fun hunt.

Don't know what became of the original gobbler, only thing I can figure since he didn't fly over to my ridge and come running in was he must have been one of those very old uncallable hermit gobblers.

PALongspur

I love fall hunting just as much as spring. Sometimes the action is nothing short of incredible, particularly if you're lucky enough to get in the middle of a gobbler flock!

paboxcall

Quote from: PALongspur on August 26, 2023, 04:17:54 PM
I love fall hunting just as much as spring. Sometimes the action is nothing short of incredible, particularly if you're lucky enough to get in the middle of a gobbler flock!

Exactly. Fall flock talk after a good break is a real treat.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Dougas on August 25, 2023, 11:03:09 PM
Hello, first time posting here. I have hunted the fall season here in mid coastal Oregon for many years. I'm especially excited this year. I purchased a new shotgun, sight, choke and ammo. So, I can't wait to try it out.
Our season this year is a daily bag limit of 2 turkeys either sex with a yearly limit of 2 turkeys either sex and it runs from the first of September to the end of January, so deer and elk season can be hunted and still have a ton of time to turkey hunt. I save one tag for a tom and one for what ever I come across. I like eating turkey, so the last week I will take what ever I can.
Wow! Your season is very long, I wish I could have that  ;D Here it's only 1 week, including one weekend.  Do you hunt merriams in Oregon?

YoungGobbler

Quote from: crow on August 26, 2023, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: North Mountain Gear on August 23, 2023, 12:37:30 PM
Where is our fall turkey hunters at? I'm interested in seeing some more content about it as there is not much available online. Anyone have a good fall turkey hunting story to tell?

A fall story,
Slipping along a finger ridge I saw a gobbler feeding out of range on a parallel ridge, waited for him to get out of sight, set up against a big white oak and gave 2 deep clucks. No response, waited awhile and then gobbler yelped to him, still nothing. Waited another hour and nothing snuck in, was about to get up but I Jake yelped several times and heard a yelp come up from the bottom.

I repositioned, yelped back and heard an immediate answer yelp. This went back and forth and finally saw a Jake coming up, when almost in range he went off the side out of sight, then got behind me on my offside and could hear him going back and forth looking for the turkey and yelping.

I switched the gun to left handed and slowly turned, still couldn't see him but could hear the yelps.
A tree had fallen over into another tree, both still in the air but it bent the 2nd tree over so it had a 12 foot long horizontal section, he had walked up the slanted tree onto the horizontal tree and was walking back and forth from one end to the other yelping once in a while.

This was straight behind me and even left handed it had me cranked around, when he got to the closest open spot I shot him and had a good ending to a very fun hunt.

Don't know what became of the original gobbler, only thing I can figure since he didn't fly over to my ridge and come running in was he must have been one of those very old uncallable hermit gobblers.
I like your story. I imagine the jake on the horizontal tree... What a dream.

Mossberg90MN

Quote from: Farmboy27 on August 23, 2023, 04:26:55 PM
I used to be a diehard fall turkey hunter. I probably looked forward to it more than spring when I was younger. But I slowly got more into archery hunting for deer and would make a midday hunt or 2 a year for turkey. Then when the population really started going south I pretty much gave it up altogether. Fall turkey hunting can be so easy that it's almost unfair if you have a good population of turkeys and you're targeting young birds. And it can be trying to hunt a unicorn if you don't have many birds and you're targeting an adult gobbler!!  It is a fun game and I miss the old days of hunting them in the fall.
This is pretty spot on. Fall hunting can be brutal in a low populated area. Feels like your chasing ghosts. Sometimes you find fresh sign, but you just missed them, and who knows when they Will come through that spot if at all again.

The spot  I deer hunted last fall had a huge Turkey population compared to past years.

If you where in the hardwoods, you were going to here a bird.

Called them in on two occasions while deer hunting.

Hunting a Fall Gobbler is tough... they won't make a peep if they dont feel like it and they can be nomadic.

Aside from opportunistic shots (walks by while deer hunting, saw one on a field edge etc...) they can be pretty tough. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougas

Tagged out yesterday. I decided this year that two hens in the hand is better than not going out very often because of long term responsibilities I have to attend to. I would post a picture, but I can't figure out how to do it. Everything seems to go well but the pic won't show up when I down load it.

Dougas

I guess it did work after all.

Dougas

This was the maiden voyage for my new gun (SA20 Mossberg 20 gauge simi-auto), new red dot sight (Vortex Venom), new choke by Truglo, and new ammo (Apex TSS #9) and the sling that I made out of paracord. Everything worked flawlessly. It was the first time I used a red dot. I started out with a bead on my 12 gauge and did well. Went to a scope on my 12 gauge and did well. I really like the red dot much better than the former options.

Hook hanger

Congrats on a couple fall birds. Fresh turkey is hard to beat on a fresh plate.

Dougas

Thanks. Knowing I made good choices for me with the equipment is as good as the turkey dinners they will provide.

YoungGobbler

Yess, good job  :icon_thumright: Fun to see turkey pictures  :icon_thumright: