OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

HuntQuietly - Two Great Turkey Podcasts

Started by deerhunt1988, June 10, 2023, 12:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Matt Rinella, the brother of Steven Rinella (Meateater), has created his own platform. Hunt Quietly. Matt is against the commercialization and exploitation of hunting wild game. As the privilege and resource is exploited, public land hunting opportunities diminish. I've been following Matt for a while now, and recently two podcasts have aired specifically concerning turkey hunting.

Episode 42 - Turkey Promotion - A southeastern U.S. wildlife biologist discusses how social media/YouTube has impacted turkey hunting.

Episode 61 - Turkey Tribulations - Cameron Weddington (co-host of The Turkey Hunter podcast) talks about the current state of turkey hunting, his desire to preserve "traditional means" of turkey hunting, and do we really need more turkey hunters amongst the recent push to recruit more hunters.

Hunt Quietly podcasts can be found on the major podcast apps and the Hunt Quietly website. ( https://huntquietly.org/ ) Matt's podcasts have really made me do some thinking and have opened my eyes to what is happening to hunting, especially in regards to public lands and affordable leasing opportunities. I know the experiences I've had while turkey hunting on public lands in recent years (and the opportunities i've LOST), have led to some major contemplating and concern. Will the trends continue? How much public land hunting opportunity will the next generation have? How long before we really are converted primarily to the European model of hunting, AKA pay to play?

Some of the beginning Hunt Quietly podcasts are a bit tough listen to, as Matt is just getting in the swing of the things and working on his delivery (which can be rough!). But latter episodes get better and the turkey ones are pretty good. I'm looking forward to more content from Matt and encourage all you fellow turkey hunters to take a peek into the Hunt Quietly movement. It just may be the turning point of the current "look at me/YouTube/forDaGram/public lands exploitation" hunting culture we are currently experiencing.

TurkeyReaper69

Thanks for sharing, I proudly show my support for hunt quietly via a bumper sticker on my F150. My hope is everyone who sees this thread gives these episodes a listen and thinks twice the next time they give THP or Pinhoti a view.

Turkeybutt

Thank you for the information, I'll be sure to check out the Hunt Quietly podcasts.

silvestris

Great post, Nathan.  I just wish God had created more acres.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

3bailey3

Brillo

Matt has an interesting perspective that all hunters should be considering. He has me rethinking a lot of my assumptions.  Thanks for posting this.

Dtrkyman

Hunt quietly, has a podcast about how to hunt quietly, interesting concept!

Haggstromjohnd

The grass-roots traditions that have defined hunting in America are being displaced by a hyper-commercialized pay-to-play model. Our mission is reversing this trend. To restore our cherished pastime:

Habitat & Access
-Engage in the fight for habitat and access!
-Acknowledge, celebrate, and support landowners that provide hunting access to the
public.

Pay To play
-Avoid hiring outfitters that lease private land.
-Do not lease hunting land in states that have programs to compensate
landowners for providing public access.
-If leasing is essential, liberally share your leased land with fellow hunters.

Hunting TV
-Boycott hunting TV and other forms of hunting entertainment. It leads to
the commodification of wildlife and hunting access.
-Avoid (to the extent possible) companies that use hunting TV and social media
influencers to sell products.

Social Media
-Disincentivize (unfollow) hunters that display dead and dying animals to
strangers on social media.

Non-Profits
-Discourage hunting nonprofits from recruiting, retaining, and reactivating
hunters into our severely overcrowded pastime in their quest for dues and
hunting industry sponsors.

Hunter Ethics and Fair Chase
-Treat property open to hunting with respect as if you own it.
-Combat poor hunter behavior, especially on private lands made accessible to
hunters through government programs.
-Support initiatives to provide opportunity for hunters that use primitive gear,
including long bows, recurve bows, and muzzleloaders.
-Avoid the "long range" craze and restrict rifle shots to <500 yards.

I apologize for having to cut and paste the whole movement ideas but I'm new and am still figuring out how app/website works.

Obviously everyone had their own opinions so I feel like I have to share the perspective of a rookie western NY Turkey hunter...

Habitat and access statement is pretty on point although where I hunt there are thousands upon thousands of acres of state Forrest that anyone can hunt. Paid for with our taxes. Private property can be accessed if you ask properly and are respectful. Not everyone will let you hunt and it is their right as they are the ones paying thousands in taxes.

Pay to play model is up to the people who maintain, own and pay taxes on their land. If your only chance to hunt and be successful is to lease or hire an outfitter due to family, time or lack of ability to own and pay for land that shouldn't be demonized. Not everyone has time to do everything the way other people want.

Hunting TV and Social media can be the only way for a rookie, without any mentorship or assistance to learn. Not everyone has that nice uncle or father to teach them... They have to spend hours upon hours weeding through videos and such to gain knowledge and discern what is correct and what is BS. As a hunter who is the only hunter in the family it can be tough to actually learn without that information...

Non-profits... I agree that some can be setup in less than favorable ways and not do what they claim they are supposed to. I also know that we have a problem with hunter retention and interest where I'm from. Not overcrowded actually under crowded with DEC begging people to take out the youth.

It seems the movement has great ideas especially if they are pertinent to your area of interest... But I once had a hunter education instructor who asked anyone who is interested in continuing the sport to wear a piece of camo anytime they can. Be proud that you're a hunter and show people around that it's ok, it's a fundamental right and pastime as a US citizen and that you won't apologize to the Woke left for offending them...

We shouldn't have to hide our passion.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

J-Shaped

Listened to both of them, and thought they were both great, even the one with the anonymous guy  :D

In fact, I think I've listened to every episode since he started, and am finding they continue to get better and better.

I think Matt is waking people up to what a few of us have been seeing materialize before us for a long time. We're in a different age, with different influences, and the combination of several factors are creating some troubling outcomes for our wildlife that we all cherish - it's going to require different solutions to address these complex issues. Leaning on a lot of the traditional strategies and tactics isn't proving productive, and as many of us have observed, are actually counterproductive.

Like a lot of things in life, it takes getting out of your own bubble to see it. I've been hunting Western big game since the late 90's and have seen and experienced much of what we're seeing with turkey hunting today well before it became an issue for turkeys - decreased draw odds, loss of opportunity, etc. It's easy to think that just because something doesn't affect you or how you hunt on your own little slice of the world, or in your state, that it doesn't matter. But if you get out much and pay attention it's not hard to see that we've got some troubling issues for our wildlife, our habitat, and our hunting opportunities we all love and value so much.

I hope Matt's reach continues to grow and he sticks with it. He may not be the polished storyteller his brother is, but he's got a good message if people are willing to listen.

Mountainburd

I gave the episode with the anonymous biologist a listen but had to shut it off after about 20 Minutes. I found the host unbearable to listen to. With that being said I get the message and what it's about, and can understand how it resonates with a segment of the traveling hunters. I wanted to hear more of what the biologist said but the host just continued cutting him off incessantly. On the other hand, what I got out of him was he was traveling hunting before traveling hunting was cool. I can appreciate the issues they raised in regards to the lengths that hunters will go to for the fame they receive from views and like and following.

With that being said this is obviously a big issue that has impacted particular states and the guys that hunt them. I'm glad it's being talked about.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Mountainburd on June 13, 2023, 06:23:09 AM
I gave the episode with the anonymous biologist a listen but had to shut it off after about 20 Minutes. I found the host unbearable to listen to. With that being said I get the message and what it's about, and can understand how it resonates with a segment of the traveling hunters. I wanted to hear more of what the biologist said but the host just continued cutting him off incessantly.
With that being said this is obviously a big issue that has impacted particular states and the guys that hunt them. I'm glad it's being talked about.

Exactly my thoughts,...although I did stick with listening to it 'til the end.  Rinella has good intentions, but he most certainly does not have a "radio voice",...and does not know when to be quiet and let his guests speak without interrupting.  For me, that tendency became aggravating and distracting from the message.  Again, though, I appreciate the message.  The messenger?...not so much. 

Then again, the "message" is the same one that we have been discussing here ad nauseam for several years now.... 

DROCK

Thanks for sharing this podcast.  I listened to episode 42 .. on to 61 now.  Great episode, as long as you can look past the host not letting his guest speak uninterrupted.  Definitely worth a listen.

arkrem870

Loose lips sink ships. Everybody knows it

dzsmith

Interesting, gonna have to give these a listen
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

El Pavo Grande

At the end of the day, he's not wrong in his messaging.