turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Vest on or off when setting up?

Started by Tail Feathers, June 04, 2023, 03:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gooserbat

What is the point of the vest if you remove the butt cushion from the setup.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Gooserbat on June 05, 2023, 03:51:49 PM
Good question I suppose.  I use a chair so I didn't take that part into consideration.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

stinkpickle

To haul my 40-50lbs of completely unnecessary stuff.

Gooserbat

Quote from: stinkpickle on June 05, 2023, 05:43:51 PM

I ditched the vest and went to the chest pack and Glenda Green inner tube cushion.  Great decision.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Marc

Holds and organizes all my crap...  Game bag to carry the bird out.

I am often hunting steep terrain with lengthy walks (downhill in, uphill out).  I have tried totes, and birds over the shoulder, but a decent game bag on the vest is by far the most comfortable for me.

I am not uncomfortable sitting on the ground; I deplore that cushion banging against me while walking.  Main reason I use a seat cushion is when it is wet.  I do actually like the cushion on the back when sitting against a tree thought.  (I am well aware that I am in the vast majority when it comes to my ambiguity about sitting on a cushion)
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

BDeal

Unless its extremely warm I see no reason to ever take the vest off. It keeps my stuff organized and within reach, has  the seat cushion attached, and allows me to get up and move quickly if needed without creating unnecessary movement and noise.

OJR

WildTigerTrout

I still wear a conventional turkey vest and have for years. I always remove it when I set up if I have time.  Sometimes you get caught off guard and have to move quickly but even then I try to remove it and set it beside me.  I feel I have more freedom of movement without it and it just feels more comfortable. I use a Buckwing elevated turkey seat so do not use the seat cushion on the vest.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Ranman

Keep it on and unbuckle when I sit..I like the seat and the back cushion. Have not noticed any restriction of movement. Shot a Gobbler this year that circled behind me, I had turn almost 180 degrees to shoot him.

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: stinkpickle on June 05, 2023, 05:43:51 PM

All good points,  on why/why not to wear. I like not to wear it to be comfortable and quiet.   I have an over the shoulder cushion and sometimes use the vest cushion as well (rarely).  When I know I'm in an area where the birds may be or have been, I'll setup and get comfortable w/o it on and keep everything close and ready to use.
  If I strike when up when walking and he's close, it's game on and I wear it.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

g8rvet

On, almost always.  the back cushion makes the angle perfect with my chair.  I have slipped it off for stealth reasons (I did last year on the bird I killed opening weekend).
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

grayfox

I always keep mine on unless it's extremely hot or I'm using my Gobbler Chair. But I do often unbuckle the front of the vest.

Vintage

Meleagris gallopavo

I always just unbuckled the vest when I use it.  This year I used a chair and it does restrict movement, plus it's heavy and a pain to carry.  Looking at maybe modifying my vest set up for next year.  What kind of chest packs are y'all using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

g8rvet

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on June 09, 2023, 06:46:39 AM
I always just unbuckled the vest when I use it.  This year I used a chair and it does restrict movement, plus it's heavy and a pain to carry.  Looking at maybe modifying my vest set up for next year.  What kind of chest packs are y'all using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am using the HS Strut Chest Pack.  It is my lightweight, warm afternoon option. I would not be happy with it as my sole method of toting stuff.  For mobile and hostile it is fine.  But for those days where I do not know how far from the truck or how long I will be there, it does not have anywhere near the storage.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.