turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Red dot or not Stevens 301

Started by Obi wan, May 07, 2023, 01:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Obi wan

I just picked up a Stevens 301 410 yesterday.  I see most seem to shoot it with a red dot.  I have always avoided a red dot because I felt like its just one more thing to go wrong.  I watched a video where someone had one mounted and said they knocked the gun over and the red dot was off.  Never been an issue with open sights.  I know you can fit a tru glo open sight on the Stevens. 

For those of you that shoot with a red dot, have you had any issues with the sight being off?  How hard of a hit can it take and not be off? 

caneman

I have the 301 and have a holosun green dot on mine and have had it for 2 years now and no issues.

Vintage

I have one and have  a Kingslayer on it with no Trouble. The 301 mount is set up so you can see the front bead under the red dot. 

skimerhorn

Mine shoots so low with tss you almost need one to be accurate

Henry347

If your gun shoots point of aim then honestly there's no need for a red dot/reflex. I like using the bead as well but my Stevens did not shoot how I liked with the bead; so I put a AT3 Tactical RD-50 on mine and like it so far. It's smaller than some of the other red dots and looks cleaner on the gun in my opinion.

Will say that if you decide to run a sight of some sort to take off the factory mount and clean the oil outta the bolt holes and put some blue thread locker on the threads.

ShortMagFan

I've been using red dots on all kinds of guns for years. Am so used to them on my turkey gun it would feel weird not to have one. I've never had an issue. I suspect the most common issue would be forgetting to turn it on when you get out of the truck

sixbird

I've been using Burris Fastfire III's for years and they're great! So are plenty of others.
I've dropped mine enough to put a small gouge in the aluminum over top of glass and it was just fine.
Of course, if you can avoid knocking your gun over, that would be ideal but they're not a delicate thing.
As far as batteries go, they last a long time, and when they do start getting weak, the dot blinks intermittently for a few hrs. to let you know.
I carry a spare battery and a small screwdriver just in case but never had to change a battery in the field.
Two of the main advantages to them is precise aiming, especially up close with tight patterns and the ability to be all twisted around and not have to worry about cheek weld and other alignment issues. Where that dot is when you pull that trigger is where that load is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk