On the lathe again......

Started by Tarheel, April 17, 2023, 09:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbbow

Those look very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ejacks10s

Tarheel

In the past, I had a good friend, Jimmy Stephenson, I could take a turkey call I had made for him to play and give me his assessment.  Jimmy was good to give me his opinion, and I was smart enough to listen to his recommendations and advice.  Jimmy was the ring leader that made the Frank Harper Roanoke River style yelper happen.  I wish he was still here for me to take this one to him.  I believe he would really like it.......

Ozark Ridge Runner

That's just pure art right there. 

Tarheel

I have a love/hate relationship with delrin.  I've reached the age where there are some things I prefer not to do...and there are other things I definitely don't want to do.  Then there are some things I can still be talked into doing....but that may change. 

GregGwaltney

Quote from: Tarheel on June 22, 2023, 08:05:36 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with delrin.  I've reached the age where there are some things I prefer not to do...and there are other things I definitely don't want to do.  Then there are some things I can still be talked into doing....but that may change.
Looking good.... I am right there with you on the Delrin thoughts, I just have to get my mind right when starting one.
gwaltneygamecalls.com

2024 S.E. Comp-1st Place & Best in Class Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-1st Air Operated Trumpet
2024 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2023 S.E. Comp-3rd Place Trumpet
2022 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-2nd Air Operated Trumpet
2021 Grand Nat'l-5th Air Operated Trumpet
2019 Grand Nat'l-3rd Air Operated Trumpet

Tarheel

Quote from: GregGwaltney on June 22, 2023, 09:11:41 PM
Looking good.... I am right there with you on the Delrin thoughts, I just have to get my mind right when starting one.

My wife is in the VERY STRONG dislike category when it comes to delrin because no matter how hard I try not to track delrin chips through the house, when I come in from the shop, I track delrin chips through the house.  A 5-10 minute session with the air hose blowing off everything I can reach doesn't do the job....LOL!!!

Tarheel

Desert ironwood....one of my favorite woods for trumpet yelpers.  Then cherry burl....but I have to have my black/brown CA there at the ready to fill the voids, but it makes a beautiful call.  I must give a public thank you to Ol'Bob for helping me organize and speed up my callmaking process.

I don't know why the 2nd picture of the cherry burl call is distorted making it look shorter than the desert ironwood yelpers.  Oh, well....it is what it is.........

ejacks10s

Looks sharp Marvin! That cherry burl is a beauty!

Tarheel

I promised I would put up a video soundfile for the Delrin trumpet yelper on Soundfile Central.  I finally did that today.  The Delrin trumpet yelper is far more capable than the caller using it....but it is what it is.  The turkeys really don't care.....LOL!!!

EZ

callmakerman

Fine looking batch of calls Marvin. I don't mind turning delrin. I've made a few pots. tube calls and Davis style calls using it and other than the smell it's easy to work with. I had plans to try and do a trough call using delrin but haven't quite figured it out yet how I want to proceed.

Tarheel

[/quote] I had plans to try and do a trough call using delrin but haven't quite figured it out yet how I want to proceed.
[/quote]

Bill,
One thing about delrin is you will get a lesson in acoustics......LOL!!! I definitely want to see how your delrin trough call turns out. If you can figure out a working design, you should have an awesome turkey call.