OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How long after shooting at a turkey will he be killable again?

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, April 17, 2023, 04:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Simply stated, if you hunt him again, you will find out.   ;D

"Scientifically", it all will depend on the connection the bird made with the calling and the decoys and any danger he now associates with both.  There are turkeys that will not make that negative connection,...have not "learned" to avoid doing it again,...and there will be turkeys that, for whatever reason, DO make that connection and will avoid approaching turkey calling, decoys, and perhaps even that specific spot. 

As stated, you will find out which it is when you hunt this gobbler again...    :D 

Tom007

Quote from: Louisiana Longbeard on April 17, 2023, 09:55:55 PM
Will probably be Saturday before I can get back after him. I will let y'all know

If he's there, you'll get him....good luck...

jhoward11

Go to the bar and you will see a guy get shot down and with-in 2 min. he's after someone else. Tom's no different. He want's loving just as much as a bar dude. Circle around and get him going the other way.

Marc

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 18, 2023, 09:31:06 AM
"Scientifically", it all will depend on the connection the bird made with the calling and the decoys and any danger he now associates with both.  There are turkeys that will not make that negative connection,...have not "learned" to avoid doing it again,...and there will be turkeys that, for whatever reason, DO make that connection and will avoid approaching turkey calling, decoys, and perhaps even that specific spot. 

I think this nails it!

Obviously turkeys make a negative association with things when they run into preceived danger, or they would not live long.  Question is, what is that association?

When we "bump" a bird, or we have that bird that gets nervous and does not come in, or when we shoot and miss, that bird is making some sort of association with danger, that he will likely avoid next time.  Could be an association with a call (tone, pitch, or cadence), could be an association with decoys that were not moving....  Could be an association with that weird bush (i.e. hunter in camo)....  Maybe that bird won't go by the tree that shot at him again?

Couple years back, I used my favorite box call, and had the largest flock of turkeys I have called in completely surrounding me.  Birds were calling, fighting, feeding, and strutting within feet of me at times.  Finally the tom I wanted gave me a clear shot (with some birds mere feet from me when I pulled the trigger).

Hunted the next day, and birds would not answer that favorite box call...  Switched calls, and immediately lit a couple of birds right up....  I have often noted that hunting the same birds, that sometimes they get stale with a call, and a different call can be a game changer.

Every bird is killable, but I now realize that not every bird is killable by me. ::)
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dtrkyman

I shot at one this morning in northern New Mexico, I think he now resides in southern Colorado, I ain't planning on hunting him ever again!

Mountain turkey are different though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number17

I "missed" a bird, watched him run and go airborne and land a few hundred yards away in a big open field. I glassed him for a while and couldn't believe it but he started strutting and cranked out a gobble. I relocated just below a rise in the field and gave a few soft yelps. He hammered back and ran through the high grass right into my barrel.
He just wanted to die that day.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

sasquatch1

Killed one this morn that had a buddy (didn't know until he spooked when I stood up)

30 min later he was gobbling

Turkeys do what turkeys feel like doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spurs

Every time I have missed a turkey, I back out slowly and make sure to avoid going the direct he went...even if it is the fastest route.  I can remember at least a 3 times where I backed out on a missed bird, came back to the exact location where I missed and was able to hear him the next morning.  2 of those 3 are spurs hanging off my work bench in the hunting room.  The other one was called in for a buddy of mine.  Some will just wait for an hour or so, but I typically hunt pretty small areas, even on public, so I tend to tread a little lightly to avoid a total blow out.
This year is going to suck!!!

Greg Massey

IT ALL DEPENDS if the turkey flew over to the next county ... IMO... anything is possible ..... I guess ....

Zobo

Quote from: tad1 on April 17, 2023, 08:57:58 PM
  It's the age old debate of whether turkeys are dumb as a rock or capable of intelligent reasoning.
  JT

I don't think it's either/or. Some turkeys are more intelligent than others, like dogs or people. Some are dumb as rocks and others, "smarter."  So I would say, it mostly depends on the bird whether or not you'll be able to get a shot at him again.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

OJR

His brain is the size of a peanut, and he doesn't know what that sound was. They get spooked all the time. It's part of being a Turkey. Just a few minutes down the road you should be able to work him again. Reproduction is his driving motivation this time of year and he'll be back courting the girls just about as soon as his feet hit the ground.

Go get him!

Louisiana Longbeard

Well I went back after him today. He gobbled his head off on the roost. Stayed in the tree two hours after daylight. Gobbled 50 times. He flew down to 3 hens. I chased them all day trying to pull him away. I gave up about 6 this evening. I'm going back after him Monday. I got a plan!!

runngun

I had one on the 17th located where he was roosted.  Set up on him, I was in a food plot. He was off of it by 50 yards in a creek bottom.  When time, I did a fly down with a real turkey wing, he was gobbling every breath, then he flew down into the woods bottom. I called him and he would answer me. But going straight away from me, and he went out at least 300 yards. I was very tempted to "chase after him, but I said,"Nope, I will call him in to me or not. "
I started calling softly about every 10 minutes. He answered me and seemed like he was getting closer to me.  Again, calling him and he was coming closer. " I said alright, this might work."  Then, BAM, I see a hen coming up in the food plot, and she walks 8 steps from my boots. There I see him, walking straight to me, he was wanting to strut, but the ground is wet. He's about 30 yards, and I needed to move my cheek to the stock, and the hen saw me, started head bobbin, what I call '"shuckin and jiving." I acquired the dot and pressed the trigger, and he was down.

19 pounds
11.50 beard
1.25 spurs

All of that to say this,  I never knew that hen was with him, I never heard her make a sound at all.  I also decided to stay put instead of chasing them.  the only reason I didn't give chase was because I had walked 8 miles the day before and I was TIRED!!!!

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO STAY PUT. IT WILL WORK SOMETIMES!!!! LOL

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

OJR

Patience, maybe sometimes laziness, has put more gobblers in front of me than anything.
Congratulations!