OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I’m getting desperate!!!!

Started by Centershot, April 05, 2023, 09:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centershot

I bought a Stoeger M3020 to set up for turkey. I can't find tubes and shells anywhere around here, just your basics. Not much info on what combo guys have found that shoot good out of it. I have a 12 gauge supernova set up, but I bought this for more comfort carrying and shooting.

Greg Massey

Rogers Sporting Goods on line has plenty of turkey loads in 20 ga. and if you contact Carlson either by phone or email they can help you.. Or contact William at Sumtoy Customs he has choke tubes and can help you ... you must not be too desperate ... IMO... Do your research ... DO A Search on the forum for information...

Centershot

Greg Massey, I've called Carlson, rob Robert, Indian creek, federal, boss, and Winchester and all they tell is general info. I want to know what guys have used and has worked well without going bankrupt on shells and tubes. When I bought my SX2 I saw what guys were using, tried it and it was perfect.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Centershot on April 05, 2023, 09:55:34 AM
Greg Massey, I've called Carlson, rob Robert, Indian creek, federal, boss, and Winchester and all they tell is general info. I want to know what guys have used and has worked well without going bankrupt on shells and tubes. When I bought my SX2 I saw what guys were using, tried it and it was perfect.
You have to realize with some guns you will find out more information than others ... my suggestion is to contact William at Sumtoy Customs , his number is posted on the forum... if anyone can help you, he can...  In your post you said your couldn't find shells and tubes in your area, i will agree with you, it's pretty much the same for the rest of us trying to setup a gun, most gun stores will have the guns, but not the chokes your looking for, so in my opinion you need to decided on the shell you want to shoot then pick out the choke... Setting up a shotgun for turkey hunting is going to cost you regardless... I feel your pain, but it's all part of the process...

Centershot

Just tried to go on Sumtoys website and it says it's been suspended

Greg Massey

Quote from: Centershot on April 05, 2023, 10:21:20 AM
Just tried to go on Sumtoys website and it says it's been suspended
Yes, on his Facebook Page, he said it had been suspended because he's in the process of building a completely new web page... So i would call him....

SumToy

We are in the shop.   Now email or pm works best at times.   The phone goes  :z-dizzy:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Kygobblergetter

The turkey choke that came with my 3020 shot about the same as the sumtoy 562 and the ic 555. All the tss I've tried have shot about the same and all will kill a turkey way past 40. In my opinion keep the turkey choke that came with it and buy your preferred tss #9s. It's a pleasure to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on April 05, 2023, 04:18:48 PM
The turkey choke that came with my 3020 shot about the same as the sumtoy 562 and the ic 555. All the tss I've tried have shot about the same and all will kill a turkey way past 40. In my opinion keep the turkey choke that came with it and buy your preferred tss #9s. It's a pleasure to carry.

Good advice and starting point. Shoot the choke you got and pattern it.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Deer Turd

I've had mine for just about a month.  I'd for sure save the money on a choke and shoot the XFT that came with the gun.  Mine shoots really good patterns with handload and Apex TSS 9's.  If yours doesn't do the same, you can always buy an aftermarket choke later.  Save $75-$100 and blow it on ammo!

mountainhunter1

These guys are correct, your factory chokes will likely do all that you need to do without spending a bunch more money. I just helped a new hunter with his gun this week and told him to also skip the new high end choke options and we just used a factory full that came with the gun and was he averaging over 310 in the ten at forty yards with excellent twenty coverage as well. Chances are the factory tubes you got with the gun will do all that you need done. 

Verdict has TSS that will work in your  gun in stock on their web site and it is a very good performing load. Apex also has TSS #9's in stock tonight when I looked.

If you decide for some reason that you need an after market choke, try a Trulock Precision Hunter before jumping on the higher priced IC or Jeb's etc. They will do anything the higher priced tubes will do and then some and Trulock is good to do business with.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Seminole Custom Calls

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on April 05, 2023, 04:18:48 PM

How's POW/POI im planning on using the factory choke and apex ninjas

Kygobblergetter

I'm using a red dot on mine so not sure on poa/poi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk