OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

BLACK HILLS SD

Started by OsceolaDreams, March 30, 2023, 10:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OsceolaDreams

Anyone been to the Black Hills in SD in the last few years? How's the population look, not looking for anyone's spot just wondering how difficult it is to find birds.

deathfoot

I was there in 2020. Killed one after being there for a few hours. Called in 4 (2 each from doffeeent direction). But it was my 3rd trip there so I kind of know where I like to go. You should be fine.

ddturkeyhunter

I have been going out there every year past twenty some years. Once you find some birds it will be a area you want to keep in mind. Birds in the area I found is definitely down from past years but still have been filling our tags. But knowing the roost areas and things make a big difference. Keep in mind that it gets very hot and dry late summer so where there is water you will find turkeys most times. But there has been a decline in birds out there that's why they pushed the opening date back later this year then past. And next year will be a week later yet so they know birds are down and trying something. Even if you don't get into the birds it is so beautiful out there, you can't help but enjoy it.

eggshell

I hunted it last year and it was tough sledding. Be ready to drive a lot. I found a pocket of birds but they were 45 miles from our camp. Drive roads and roost birds. They are way down in population. There are birds there, but you better be ready to be mobile and once you find them stay on them. In all my travels it does not rate very high on my scale of quality hunts. I know a few years ago we saw birds all over the place (i wasn't hunting then) but in the last couple years they fell way off. I have friends and family in the hills so we vist at least once or more a year. After years of running around the hills I finally decided to hunt after the population dropped off, go figure. I still got my chance at a bird, but blew the shot. The tag is not expensive and there are tons of things to do in a beautiful landscape, so it's a good trip.

OsceolaDreams

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

GobbleNut

I will second what eggshell stated.  Hunting there last spring,...and hearing the past reports of turkeys everywhere,...I was SHOCKED by how few birds we were able to find in several days of hunting.  The ones we did find were invariably either on private ground and/or very close to houses.  We were there in mid-May, as well, and the ATVers were out in force.

I am sure, from what many hunters have said, that there are areas where there are more birds than we found, and in places where it is not necessary to negotiate private land, houses, and people in general,...but we covered a lot of country with little evidence of turkeys being around.  My advice:  Get some "insider" information on where to start looking if you can,...and/or be prepared to spend time looking for birds over a large area.

I/we can assure you, there are NOT turkeys everywhere in the Black Hills!  Either that, or we were just very unfortunate in where we spent time looking for them.

AndyH

I hunted out there the last two springs in late May. Managed to kill one two years ago. Not many birds from my experience. Covered a ton of ground. The birds I have found seem to be in close proximity to private. If you're going expect to walk/ drive a lot to cover ground unless you have inside info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VA Gobble Addict

I was there last year.  The first 4 days sucked but it was because of weather.  I thought there werent any birds left there until the weather broke on the last day and everywhere I went I heard gobbles.  The population seemed about the same as the last time I was there 6 years ago.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

cthemfall514

I was there last year in early May. Found some sign but could not get one to gobble. It was raining and windy for the most part of the trip which was only 3 days. Driving the roads last afternoon bumped into a group of 12-15 jakes. Going back this year for a week.

Bolandstrutters

Pockets of birds can be few and far between.  Just hope it doesn't take more than a day or two to find some.  It took me almost 3 days to find a pocket, but it ended up having a pile of gobblers in it.  Definitely not as easy as some used to claim.  But the scenery makes it worth the challenge.   

JohnSouth22

Been a few times. Later season=more predictable weather. Be ready to cover ground. I'm very anti truck hunting in the south but up there it's nearly imperative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RutnNStrutn

I went last year. It was slammed full of turkeys.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

cthemfall514

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 04, 2023, 11:21:14 AM
I went last year. It was slammed full of turkeys.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Was it your first time going or had you been before?

eggshell

RutnNStrtn, If i recall correctly you were not hunting the traditional Black Hills unit that the rest of us hunted. Is that correct?