turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mossberg SA-28 Cycling Issue

Started by deltabowhunter, March 26, 2023, 03:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

I bought mine unfixed in the box. I took it home and disassembled it and cleaned every part. I then polished every surface I could with a scotch brute pad. Sprayed the parts down and reassembled. The cosmoline in this gun was gross. Small chunks were cleaned out. The gun runs smooth as silk. I also shoot a few rounds of sporting clays before the season as well. The wife's new one was just as caked , but the initial cleaning took care of the issue. This is a $500 semi auto shotgun, remember, you pay for materials and machining. The better the materials and tighter the tolerances, the price goes up. This is a great gun for the money.  :z-twocents: Z

twyatt

I ended up just trading in my bantam.  It wouldn't cycle anything except target loads.  My SA28 tactical turkey model functions flawlessly though (so far).

BennieGobbler

Knock on wood. Mine cycled in Fl and VA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Print by Madison, on Flickr

turkey_slayer

My sa-28 turkey is the same way. Will eject but not chamber the next round. I have a 20ga sa-459 doing the same and both are using the same powder. Tried a diff powder load in the 20 and runs fine. I'm guessing the slower powder is still burning while trying to eject the hull simultaneously and its throwing it out of time.
Eta I've tried the same load in inertia and recoil operated guns and they ran it fine. Gas systems seem to be a no go

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ranman

When the cycling issue happens, are you shooting from the shoulder or some type of lead sled? Or, even the hip?

turkey_slayer

Shoulder while sitting against tree. I use bags on the bench but only loaded 1 at a time. Will test that after the season. Just to clarify, the shells in the tube stay in the tube after ejecting the fired hull. I can rack the bolt and it'll load the next one. The brass is dented and rim will peel from the extractor. Neither are excessive but the same load shot in any other non gas gun come out fine. That's why I think the slow burning powder may be still burning while the gun is  going through the ejection/loading process or it's overloading the gas system. Could be totally wrong. I didn't notice it till I killed the first turkey and it's done it on every bird since. Thankfully haven't needed a second shot yet.

zelmo1

I just got bit too, my pride came back to bite me. The new primed hulls I loaded are about 1/8" longer and are not cycling real well. I had to manually slam the bolt ahead to get a second shot off the other day. I either need to get a case trimmer or get a pump, lol. I am dreading cutting open these shells. Good luck and God Bless. Z

treein dixie

Mine does the same scenario as listed want load from tube.  Mossberg has no customer service!

twyatt

Anybody have any update to this?  I took both of my SA28 tactical turkey guns to the range with me yesterday when messing with some other guns.  1 ran apex just fine.  The other one shot the first shell, then didn't bring up the next one.  Hand racked it, then ran 3 through it just fine.  Thinking about trading one of mine in for something else if there's no fix for this.  Mossberg blames it on the shells, but what kind of shells do they expect to be shot out of a "tactical turkey" model?  I don't have the $ to just keep blowing through tss to see if it's going to keep happening.

deltabowhunter

I discovered that mine does it on all steel duck loads as well except for 7/8oz Boss Shotshells

Basically, anything that isn't a 7/8oz or 1oz load it won't load from the magazine.

The manual says it works best with those size loads, but making a gun primarily marketed to turkey hunters shooting heavier TSS loads is pretty sorry of Mossberg, considering they know it won't cycle.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

turkey_slayer

I fixed mine by sending it to CRums and had him tap the ports for 6-32 screws. Now I can adjust the port size by drilling out set screws. Pretty much ended up blocking the ports off by 60% when tuned perfectly. I tuned by loading only 1 shell at a time. I started off undergassed and kept increasing port size till the bolt locked back on empty. Then went to 3 shells to verify cycling. Increased ports slightly as it was barely ejecting, but ejecting never the less, till I started seeing extractor marks and dropped back down to the next lower drill bit #. Runs like a machine now and recoil is noticeably less.

Sent in the trigger group to work on also and dropped a MCarbo spring in. Down to about 3.5lbs now. He done excellent work

Ranman

Quote from: turkey_slayer on March 11, 2024, 03:28:34 PM
I fixed mine by sending it to CRums and had him tap the ports for 6-32 screws. Now I can adjust the port size by drilling out set screws. Pretty much ended up blocking the ports off by 60% when tuned perfectly. I tuned by loading only 1 shell at a time. I started off undergassed and kept increasing port size till the bolt locked back on empty. Then went to 3 shells to verify cycling. Increased ports slightly as it was barely ejecting, but ejecting never the less, till I started seeing extractor marks and dropped back down to the next lower drill bit #. Runs like a machine now and recoil is noticeably less.

Sent in the trigger group to work on also and dropped a MCarbo spring in. Down to about 3.5lbs now. He done excellent work
Pics of set screws?

turkey_slayer

Ports with no screws, pic of ports with screws (right screw hadn't been drilled yet), and pic of screws

Ranman

Glad it worked for you. Luckily mine has ran just fine. Thanks for pics..

treein dixie

Quote from: deltabowhunter on March 28, 2023, 09:06:22 PM
Let me clarify my statement a bit more... it will cycle the spent shell out fine, but it does not load the next shell from the magazine. I can manually cycle the bolt slow or fast, and it works, but it doesn't work when shooting. Apex said they haven't heard of that issue, but would be willing to refund me for the ammo.

We have a trip to Texas this weekend. I guess I'm going to ghost load one under the bolt for my wife just in case she needs a follow up shot.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

I have been having the same issue spot on.  Good luck Mossberg is zero help on this!