OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg SA-28 Cycling Issue

Started by deltabowhunter, March 26, 2023, 03:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deltabowhunter

I have an SA-28 Bantam that will not cycle Apex 9.5's. It will cycle Federal game loads and AA factory loads just fine. Has anybody else ran into this issue?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

runngun

I have not had this problem but a friend had this problem.  The Hulls were just a hair too long.  He talked to Brice Hensley at Foxtrot and went that way.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

cutt down

My wife's SA-28 will not cycle the Foxtrot shells & it's due to the chamber being a little undersized. Apex cycle fine. From what I understand some of the Turkish guns have this issue. I use Foxtrot in other guns.

runngun

Yeah, you're right. I am shooting Foxtrot out of my Charles Daly 28 gauge Semi, and they cycle well for me.   

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

twyatt

I have the SA28 bantam and the SA28 tactical turkey and both cycle Apex 9.5's just fine.  I've shot cheap game loads, Foxtrot, Apex, hand loads, Rogue, and Viper and all have cycled just fine.

deltabowhunter

Let me clarify my statement a bit more... it will cycle the spent shell out fine, but it does not load the next shell from the magazine. I can manually cycle the bolt slow or fast, and it works, but it doesn't work when shooting. Apex said they haven't heard of that issue, but would be willing to refund me for the ammo.

We have a trip to Texas this weekend. I guess I'm going to ghost load one under the bolt for my wife just in case she needs a follow up shot.

twyatt

I actually just took mine to the range and sure enough it shoots the first shell fine and the other 2 did not even come out of the mag tube.  Apex and hand loads both did it.  I posted earlier that mine didn't have any problems but after I thought about it I've only ever loaded one at a time.  This is wonderful 8 days before the opener.   What would keep it from not pulling the next shell out of the tube?  If I hand racked it, it worked

deltabowhunter

I contacted Mossberg today via email. They first said the shell was too light of a load. When I pointed out it was a 1 3/8oz load they said it was an ammo issue not a gun issue. Very poor customer service.

I just ran a couple of tests. If I put a target load in the chamber and Apex in the magazine it cycles fine on first shot. I think the issue is that the Apex loads are so hot that they're cycling the bolt too fast and the second shell doesn't have time to load.

I tested that it works, so what I plan to do for this Saturday is load one in the chamber and ghost load one under the bolt. That way, you can get two shots off before manual intervention is required. Not ideal, but in Texas, you better be ready for more than one turkey to show up at once.

twyatt

What are you planning on doing after Saturday?  I was going to call Mossberg in the morning but it doesn't sound like I'm going to like their response

deltabowhunter

Well, we have our youth season the next weekend and then regular season. I'm going to continue the necessary load process for two shots and then take it to a gunsmith.

If Mossberg gives you a different answer, I would love to know what their solution is to the problem.

twyatt

I went back to the range today and Apex did it again, but Viper, Rob Roberts, and hand loads all seemed to work.
I called Mossberg on the way home and all they could tell me was to send it in, and there was a 6-8 week turnaround.

Ranman

I am also curious, because I have a SA28 turkey on the way.. how many rounds have been shot through your guns? Just wondering if they need a little breaking in??

FL-Boss

My brand-new SA-28 has had zero issues. A handful of high brass shells to get the red dot on paper.. then about 12 rounds of Apex #9 and #9.5 to test different chokes. No problems...

deltabowhunter

Quote from: Ranman on April 02, 2023, 06:52:08 PM
I am also curious, because I have a SA28 turkey on the way.. how many rounds have been shot through your guns? Just wondering if they need a little breaking in??
Mine has somewhere around 300 rounds through it.

Pwheeler02

Anyone have an update on this. Mine is doing the same thing. It cycles federal top gun flawless but apex and foxtrot won't cycle. Kicks spent hull out but the others won't even drop out of the magazine tube. If I single fire the apex and foxtrot it won't lock the bolt open but the lighter load will work every time