Main Menu

870 Supermag build

Started by Bwhntr68, February 23, 2023, 10:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HERRINGBONE1

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

captpete

You did a great job on cleaning up the wood stock/forearm. I would darken them...to me they are to light. Like mentioned above the green tinted stain would look cool even if you decide to remove the vinyl wrap. You will really like the Timney trigger upgrade...it made a huge difference in my 870 SPM.

I can't tell if the safety has the lock on it or not, but if it does I would replace it(or carry the key with you). I had mine lock on me some how or another and couldn't get the safety off to fire the gun. I didn't have the key with me, so I drove 45 minutes home just to unlock it and drive 45 minutes back to hunt.

Longbeard 5's pattern really well out of the Carlson .670 choke I have. It's a nice even hunting pattern at 40 and a little smaller than Volley ball size pattern at 20. My gun patterns better with 3" shells than 3 1/2"ers no matter what brand shell/choke combination. It also like 5's better than 6's.

My only other suggestion is to quit drinking that nasty brand of beer...there are a lot better choices out there!!  :TooFunny:

Bwhntr68

Sort of forgot about this thread, the gun is complete! Ran into an issue trying to use a standard 870 bolt slide, I didn't realize it was specific to the Supermag. Did a little rough stipple job on the grip and forend because it was way to smooth for my liking. Also, good luck if anyone ever needs a recoil pad for the 870 wood stock! Had to order one close to size and file/shape to fit. Have taken it on a few duck hunts so far and she's performed well. Have not put it on paper yet but with a HS strut undertaker and Federal 7/9 TSS it dropped a couple Specklebellies further than it should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk