OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What drew you to Turkey Hunting?

Started by jhoward11, February 14, 2023, 07:57:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

I had killed a few over the years in the fall as targets of opportunity when deer hunting as a kid.  Duck hunting buddy told me not to start turkey hunting as I would get addicted and it would cut into my spring red fishing trips.  He took me on my first spring hunt and we killed one the first time - my 870, modified choke and high brass #5 at 25 yards.  Hooked.  Was in my third season before I called one in for myself.  We would talk on the phone for after action debriefing for me to learn.  I think that is why I enjoy is so much, I don't even deer hunt anymore.  I have a stand, a food plot and deer on my home property now that I maintain for family members-I don't hunt them.  Only rules - no turkeys!  They are actually starting to use the property now, but they are reserved for daughter or grands when they are old enough. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Cmane08

My Dad is a die-hard turkey hunter so I never had a chance. My earliest turkey memory is having one answer me while I blew a crow call when I was around 5 years old.

Moore

The only think I hunted was deer, back in 2007 I saw my first wild flock of turkeys while I was bow hunting. I thought it would be cool to try something new ,and to scout for deer sign while hunting for turkeys. I bought a hunters specialities so you want to be a turkey hunter and primos dvd  and learn how to call. I waited until 2008 to go on my first turkey hunt. my first morning I called five times in  but they were out of my bow range. I was hooked from that point on when I saw them strutting and hear them spitting and drumming.  I didn't get a bird that year but the following year I was drawn for firearm tag and I was able to get my first bird, and he is still my best bird 21 lbs 9 in bear and 1 in spurs. I also joined Old Gobbler, and that is where I learned the most and created some great friendships.
[

JordanKBarnes

Went one time in early 90's. Cousin took me as a watcher on as pure and a phenomenal hunt as I've ever seen to this very day. Along the black water banks of mill creek in bulloch county,ga. It grabbed a piece of my soul and It hasn't and don't see it relinquishing itself anytime soon.

C120

Quote from: Howieg on February 14, 2023, 09:13:29 AM
My grandpa and a family friend by the name of Kenny Morgan got me started as a young teen ager .
I was privileged to learn and watch 2 of the best ,,, yelp em up to very close range . No crutches needed .

Was that the Kenny Morgan?

retrieverman

I got interested in turkey hunting when I started deer hunting in NW Oklahoma, because there are turkeys there.  Where I live in east TX doesn't have them.