turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TFT vs NWTF?

Started by turkeyfool, February 13, 2023, 11:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfool

Can someone explain some of the differences to me as far as TFT vs NWTF?

Obviously I know that NWTF has been around for a long time and from my research, they've had a lot of organizational changes over the years. Some people love it, some people have seemed to walk away from it. But the reason I ask is because I'm seeing TFT everywhere

Dtrkyman

NWTF has gotten a bad rep from some in recent years, poorly managed money being the main gripe!

TFT is the new "better" version, maybe so but they are marketing aggressively.

The more the merrier, in my opinion they both need to focus on habitat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

I'm going to put it this way, talk to NWTF and all you hear about is money. Talk to TFT and you hear about research and management.  Look at their websites and one has nothing but ways to donate... Money and the other has links to research projects and discounts on dog proof traps.  Look at TFT two paid employees and a host of volunteers. Even their CEO and Chairman/Founder are volunteers... NWTF, pays millions in salaries and have a paid team of professional beggers (RD).  NWTF will be quick to tell you what you can't do TFT will be quick to show you what you can do.  I can keep going...
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Notsoyoungturk

I belong to both organizations.  I feel like my money is better spent by TFT.  They seem to be really focused on the science and making things better.  I think a greater portion goes to the research than with NWTF.  As mentioned above, most of the leaders are volunteers that want improve turkey populations.  One man's opinion, that and $5 gets you a coffee at Starbucks.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Greg Massey

Regardless it's all about needing money to operate to fund habitat improvement and research..  TFT / NWTF ...  It's up to you how you spend your money with these organizations.

roberthyman14

NWTF is a sham.
TFT is for thr birds

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Howieg

Nwtf used to do a lot down here in the dirty south .
Funded youth days and youth hunts on local Wmas ,
Paid for gates on public for brooding areas etc , but I haven't seen them do anything but take our money in the recent years .
TFT is funding several research efforts as we speak .
I still support both , but if Nwtf doesn't tighten up , I'll stick with Tft only .

runngun

. Money ruins everything, well the love of money ruins everything.  NWTF is not exempt from this, and mark my words, neither is TFT. I certainly hope that I will be wrong, but I have seen it before. Same with DU and Delta Waterfowl.

Have a good one, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Cowboy

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 13, 2023, 05:09:30 PM
I'm going to put it this way, talk to NWTF and all you hear about is money. Talk to TFT and you hear about research and management.  Look at their websites and one has nothing but ways to donate... Money and the other has links to research projects and discounts on dog proof traps.  Look at TFT two paid employees and a host of volunteers. Even their CEO and Chairman/Founder are volunteers... NWTF, pays millions in salaries and have a paid team of professional beggers (RD).  NWTF will be quick to tell you what you can't do TFT will be quick to show you what you can do.  I can keep going...
I have to agree with Gooserbat on this.  I've not seen any new or continuing projects in my neck of the woods in quite some time....

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

We have gotten more research results from TFT since it's inception than the NWTF has put out in 10 years......I'm for the bunch that figures out how to turn our turkey population around as quick as possible and it's pulling way to one side under that requirement!!

Greg Massey

I think you are missing something here, the NWTF has more lobbing / political Power with individual States.  TFT doesn't have the money or the Power of the NWTF .. So until it can provide better ways of fund raising it cannot compete on the same level. It will always remain a small organization that will always bring recognition and needs for improving our turkey decline. But on a much smaller platform.... Nothing wrong with TFT whatsoever... I see good things ahead with the TFT organization in bringing more awareness to our turkey problems. IMO

dzsmith

call it what you want.....in the end nothing moves without money, nothing. the nwtf has given plenty of money to plenty of things, plenty of times. mismanaged ? sure it is, but what aint??? There is no organization that goes without its corruptions , its inevitable. I like TFT as well and im a member of both, because its all we got.  i see no reason to create a one vs the other scenario...ultimately there are great people in both organizations.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

eggshell

There's an old saying I've heard; all cute puppies grow up to be dogs, some hunt and some only eat and poop. Time answers the question.

I was turkey hunting when NWTF was founded. I also worked for our Division of Wildlife, and I was good friends with some high level NWTF people. In the early years NWTF poured millions into making turkey hunting both better and worse. Here in Ohio they contributed to the purchase of a lot of public land and they bought lots of equipment. My crew assisted with turkey trapping and transplanting (although I was in fisheries). I fully supported the NWTF. I don't know what changed or just when, but the time came all I seen was money grubbing and little coming back to  the resource. What was being spent was spent on education and creating more hunters (donors). I blame them for the boom of hunters in the late 80s and 90s. They made turkey hunting cool, and I'll leave whether that was good or bad up to individual opinion. During this time I personally knew of high paid fund raisers that where "puttin on the show" and living big. This is why I dropped the NWTF.
TFT, is way too young to determine what they will be. They are cute puppies right now, we'll see if they hunt later. Yet, a puppie needs to eat to get to that stage, so I say feed it until we see if it hunts.

Howieg

Quote from: eggshell on February 14, 2023, 06:48:12 AM
There's an old saying I've heard; all cute puppies grow up to be dogs, some hunt and some only eat and poop. Time answers the question.

I was turkey hunting when NWTF was founded. I also worked for our Division of Wildlife, and I was good friends with some high level NWTF people. In the early years NWTF poured millions into making turkey hunting both better and worse. Here in Ohio they contributed to the purchase of a lot of public land and they bought lots of equipment. My crew assisted with turkey trapping and transplanting (although I was in fisheries). I fully supported the NWTF. I don't know what changed or just when, but the time came all I seen was money grubbing and little coming back to  the resource. What was being spent was spent on education and creating more hunters (donors). I blame them for the boom of hunters in the late 80s and 90s. They made turkey hunting cool, and I'll leave whether that was good or bad up to individual opinion. During this time I personally knew of high paid fund raisers that where "puttin on the show" and living big. This is why I dropped the NWTF.
TFT, is way too young to determine what they will be. They are cute puppies right now, we'll see if they hunt later. Yet, a puppie needs to eat to get to that stage, so I say feed it until we see if it hunts.
.  This ^^^ !!!! 100 %

shoer2

NWTF has changed so much through the years and I don't think for the best!!!!