OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Having a hard time spending my money

Started by Old Timer, February 11, 2023, 09:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Went shopping today for a vest. I know we have killed this subject. 1st up Cabelas Tac tat`r: Noisy, shiny and silver snaps in back. Makes no sense. Felt cheap. Best thing about it was speed seat. 2nd speed seat, same deal nylon shiny material. Seat was excellent comfort. 3rd Ol Tom Easy Rider. Surprised it fit well. Same nylon shiny material. For the life of me I do not know what the chrome metal was for on front of vest. Box call sleeve small. 4th Blocker Finisher cotton poly, quite. Gave it a chance but the seat collapsed when I sat on it. Not bad but needs a better seat. 5th Nomad Pursuit could not figure what this vest is all about. When I looked over the stitching it was thin and frayed.
I see a lot of cheap workmanship. I don`t know who designs these but they are not seasoned hunters. Final say I don`t have sucker written on my forehead. Left with my money in my pocket.

Tail Feathers

It's a hard choice picking a vest.  You were lucky to find that many brands in one place.  My Tactical Tat'r II isn't shiny.  I think I'll try to run it a few more years.  Ol Tom used to make good stuff, surpised they would put anything shiny on a vest?

You will find one, keep looking!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

deathfoot

I've used the same vest for 20 years. I have no desire to change it. Pretty sure they don't make anything like it now and I hope it lasts me another 50 years cause I love my vest. It's been everywhere and boxes and pots fit great. I love the mouth call pocket..it holds my can of Copenhagen great. A wonderful pocket for my Gatorade and two nice inside pockets for my wallet, keys, shells, TP, masks, gloves and snacks.

I guess I'm lucky and found the right one for me. I hope you find one and love it as much as I love my vest. Unlike women...it has yet to let me down.  :z-flirtysmile3:

PALongspur

When BPS bought out Cabelas they ruined the turkey vests. The older ones were awesome.

Curious where you saw the Blocker vest?

Sir-diealot

I have this dream of Glenda working with a few turkey hunters and making a vest. You know that would be quality!
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Gooserbat

Quote from: PALongspur on February 12, 2023, 07:33:29 AM
When BPS bought out Cabelas they ruined the turkey vests. The older ones were awesome.

Curious where you saw the Blocker vest?

Yep...

For what it's worth I'm probably going to bring a Grounded vest home from Nashvegas.

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: PALongspur on February 12, 2023, 07:33:29 AM
When BPS bought out Cabela's they ruined the turkey vests. The older ones were awesome.

Truth

aclawrence

I don't understand why they keep putting a box call pocket on the front of these vest. They're always too small and lots of guys don't use a box. Make a removable box pocket for the side or something. Use some Molle make them customizable. The pot call pockets on the front of nomads vest a few years ago were awful to. I hate a pocket sticking way off the vest.

Old Timer

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2023, 07:52:56 AM
I have this dream of Glenda working with a few turkey hunters and making a vest. You know that would be quality!
I agree! It would be nice. For now I will just use my old vest and carry less making it a little lighter.

Tom007

Quote from: deathfoot on February 11, 2023, 10:16:45 PM
I've used the same vest for 20 years. I have no desire to change it. Pretty sure they don't make anything like it now and I hope it lasts me another 50 years cause I love my vest. It's been everywhere and boxes and pots fit great. I love the mouth call pocket..it holds my can of Copenhagen great. A wonderful pocket for my Gatorade and two nice inside pockets for my wallet, keys, shells, TP, masks, gloves and snacks.

I guess I'm lucky and found the right one for me. I hope you find one and love it as much as I love my vest. Unlike women...it has yet to let me down.  :z-flirtysmile3:

You have us all guessing, what make is your vest?
"Solo hunter"

Big Jeremy

Im glad I got one of the older, still Cabela's tactical tat'r vests. I like it. I also have an R-N-G 300 that I like, but now my 10 year old uses it most of the time.

There's a good chance I'll bring a Grounded home from Nashville, too. Been wanting to try one. I like to have a couple of vests setup and ready to go...different calls to some extent depending on weather (wind mainly), etc.

So far I haven't found one that I like as much as my older cabelas vest, but I'm willing to keep trying! The new cabelas ones aren't 1/4th the quality of the old ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deathfoot

Quote from: Tom007 on February 12, 2023, 03:20:38 PM
Quote from: deathfoot on February 11, 2023, 10:16:45 PM

You have us all guessing, what make is your vest?

Mossy Oak Super Elite II. It's nothing special. But it meets what I need.

Howieg

" the ole  vest debate "
There's ok ones / good ones / awesome ones
  But no such thing as the "perfect " one .

btodd00

Quote from: Sir-diealot on February 12, 2023, 07:52:56 AM

That would be pretty sweet

Wigsplitter

There is sure no perfect vest just gotta go with the one that has the most liked features- I'm on the grounded vest right now - lil heavy but great seat and INSIDE striker pockets - that's a pet peeve of mine from watching guys cry on here about losing strikers for years - I've done it myself with other vest!! They are about to put out a new version with a few changes from the first one - namely a buckle right at gun shouldering height that will make a lil noise if not careful - or cover it with moleskin and move on along -sometimes you gotta modify an ok vest to make it a great vest