OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Vest choices

Started by bigdrumnc, February 10, 2023, 06:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdrumnc

I said I wouldn't do it ,  but I am leaning towards buying a new vest.  I have narrowed it down to two ...alps long spur delux and the Sitka vest.  Who owns one of these?  Pros and cons.  The Sitka will be top notch,  I will be embarrassed seen in it,  but the quality will be un matched.  The long spur looks comfortable and is priced better and matches my camo.  But I am curious about decoy storage and bird transportation after harvest.  Thanks ahead of time.

Archivist13

I have and used the Sitka vest all last season. I loved it. Best vest I've ever used. Only qualms is the lack of a water bottle spot, but I started using a bladder, which is how it is made to be used and actually prefer that over a bottle now. The storage compartment on the back is not great though. I can fit my extra clothes in it, and I have a fold up decoy that I can stuff in it, but it is tight. I don't use a decoy much though, so not a big deal for me. If decoy storage is an issue, you might want to check it out first. I will say that after using it all last season, it still looks brand new which is nice. And yes, I get embarrassed as well when I run into somebody, but I'm starting to get over that.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Archivist13 on February 10, 2023, 06:57:27 PM
I have and used the Sitka vest all last season. I loved it. Best vest I've ever used. Only qualms is the lack of a water bottle spot, but I started using a bladder, which is how it is made to be used and actually prefer that over a bottle now. The storage compartment on the back is not great though. I can fit my extra clothes in it, and I have a fold up decoy that I can stuff in it, but it is tight. I don't use a decoy much though, so not a big deal for me. If decoy storage is an issue, you might want to check it out first. I will say that after using it all last season, it still looks brand new which is nice. And yes, I get embarrassed as well when I run into somebody, but I'm starting to get over that.
I always run a bladder for water but like a pocket to pack coffee. If I ever see a good deal on the sitka I'd consider it as an upgrade for the RG300

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archivist13

Quote from: TauntoHawk on February 10, 2023, 07:04:02 PM
Quote from: Archivist13 on February 10, 2023, 06:57:27 PM
I always run a bladder for water but like a pocket to pack coffee. If I ever see a good deal on the sitka I'd consider it as an upgrade for the RG300

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I ended up liking the water bladder so much last season, that I switched to one during deer season as well. So much better than a bottle.

Dtrkyman

A friend of mine told me I could have his long spur, loaded all my stuff in it, tried it on and promptly unloaded it and gave it back.  Do not remember what I didn't like about it as it was a while ago.

I would buy a Sitka if I were in the market, but the rng 200 I got on closeout for 38 bux is still going strong after a few seasons.  I add 2 molle pouches to it when needed.   

ScottTaulbee

Just bought the Sitka vest. I received it, loaded it up. Unloaded and filed a claim for a return. I don't like anything about it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Timer

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 10, 2023, 07:47:01 PM
Just bought the Sitka vest. I received it, loaded it up. Unloaded and filed a claim for a return. I don't like anything about it

Not to divert the thread. I looked at some reviews looks comfortable but the layout is not appealing to me. Scott whats gonna be your next try?

RLAG

I've got a long spur deluxe and tried on a buddies sitka. I'd go sitka no doubt. The two biggest problems with the Alps are that the front pockets are really floppy and won't get tight to my chest as a smaller framed guy. If you're bigger it may not be an issue. The fold out game bag on the back is a great idea but doesn't ride very well with weight ie carrying a bird. The whole vest ended up pulling up in the front and sagging in the back on me

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Zobo

Sitka is 44.5 oz, Long spur deluxe is 68oz. That's a MAJOR difference to consider.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Archivist13

One thing I like about the Sitka vest is that there are specific places for each call, shells, and striker. If your a kitchen sink kind of guy, then it's probably not for you. If you carry a box call, two pot calls, a couple strikers, and a handful of mouth calls than the Sitka is made for you. If you bring lots of stuff, like I used to, having big oversized pockets is worth its weight in gold. I felt naked the first couple times, but then realized not having everything clankiing around in my pockets, especially being I didn't use most of it, was actually really nice.

bigdrumnc

Ok...ok.. y'all sold me on the Sitka.  It's on its way.  Now school me on hydration bladders or what ever they are called? What size? How often do you re use them?  How do you clean them?  Thanks!

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Old Timer on February 10, 2023, 08:05:34 PM

Not to divert the thread. I looked at some reviews looks comfortable but the layout is not appealing to me. Scott whats gonna be your next try?
Honestly I've tried about all of them except a tidewe. I was looking at the Nomad MG NXT but I'm not sure what the difference is in it and the original. If nothing else I'll keep using my super elite or just stop carrying the pot calls and box calls and take my mouth calls and a trumpet.

Tom007

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 11, 2023, 05:59:22 AM

Honestly I've tried about all of them except a tidewe. I was looking at the Nomad MG NXT but I'm not sure what the difference is in it and the original. If nothing else I'll keep using my super elite or just stop carrying the pot calls and box calls and take my mouth calls and a trumpet.

Sorry it didn't work out Scott. That's why vests are so personal. Different needs for different styles of hunting......
"Solo hunter"

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Tom007 on February 11, 2023, 07:45:15 AM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on February 11, 2023, 05:59:22 AM

Sorry it didn't work out Scott. That's why vests are so personal. Different needs for different styles of hunting......
It's the nature of the game. I thought I'd like it but after loading the calls I didn't care for how easily the magnet lets go on the pot call pocket and I tried every box call I own on the pocket and it wouldn't hold any of them firmly enough for them to no squeak. There's one out there I'll like, maybe haha

paboxcall

Quote from: RLAG on February 10, 2023, 09:39:34 PM
...two biggest problems with the Alps are that the front pockets are really floppy and won't get tight to my chest as a smaller framed guy.

I bought an Alps couple years back, and share that opinion. I had been using a fanny pack w/shoulder harness and thought the Alps would be a step up with the chest compartments. Liked the concept, but the front compartments just flopped around too much.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot