OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Doing Our Part

Started by PEPPERHEAD, February 09, 2023, 03:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PEPPERHEAD

We've all heard and read about declining turkey numbers. Well we decided to stop fretting and complaining. We went to work to save some eggs. We started trapping as soon as deer season was over. We finished up today with 103 coons, 57 possums, and 1 nasty skunk. Just think if only one egg is saved per animal eliminated. That's a lot of poults.

JeffC

Great job, the turkeys thank you
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

cwb04

Greg Massey

JohnSouth22

would love to know your tips and tricks! trap/setup/bait ect. always looking to get better

wchadw

Yeah. Great job.
Like more details? If you don't mind?
How many acres? How many traps do you run?
What are you using for bait?

I'm running 15 traps on. 300 acres mostly around the creeks. Using mellows and cat food.
Just started last week. Got 4 coons and a possum so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowboy

Excellent work!

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

PEPPERHEAD

Quote from: wchadw on February 09, 2023, 07:41:23 PM
Yeah. Great job.
Like more details? If you don't mind?
How many acres? How many traps do you run?
What are you using for bait?

I'm running 15 traps on. 300 acres mostly around the creeks. Using mellows and cat food.
Just started last week. Got 4 coons and a possum so far

We are trapping on several different farms. We are an outfitter in Milton Illinois. We run about 40 traps. Our bait is a mixture of dry cat food and sardines. Most of our trapping this time of year is around cut corn fields.
Good luck and keep after'm.

Old Timer

Wigsplitter

Gooserbat

Great job.

My good friend Tres Phipps who is a biologist and works for the department of wildlife, and who's also one of the best turkey hunters and callers I know, summed it up when we recently had a conversation about this same thing.  "We as turkey hunters pay to turkey hunt and kill turkeys.  Why are we expecting to be paid to trap and hunt predators.  We should be willing to do it for ourselves and for the sake of the turkeys we hunt."  That's really a powerful statement when you think about it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Notsoyoungturk

A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

TauntoHawk

Just got 6 dukes and plan to start next weekend. I think trapping predators needs to become as common place as planting food plots in hunting culture in order to maintain populations.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

wchadw

Any trappers out there? Is 15/16 trap's enough for 300 acres or should I bump it up to 30ish?

btomlin

Quote from: wchadw on February 10, 2023, 08:52:16 AM
Any trappers out there? Is 15/16 trap's enough for 300 acres or should I bump it up to 30ish?

***Warning:  Trapping is an addictive and can be an expensive undertaking.  :)***

I am assuming you are talking DP traps.  2 doz DPs will kill a lot of fur....if in the right location and ON SIGN(tracks, poop, etc).  Naturally, 4 doz DPs will kill more and so on.   Set those DP right in the MIDDLE of their trails.  They should be bumping their noses into the trap.  I use "seafood flavor" cat food and mix in a can of ground sardines sometimes too(don't make too "wet" if you are in an area that freezes).  I would set 2-3 per trail and once the catch slows down, move to the next trail, and the next.

Predator trapping is a little different.  You have to be willing to look at a lot of empty traps.  Most predators are on a "cycle".  I've had traps that I drive by anyways so I leave that go untouched for 2-3 weeks and then bam....you catch 2-3 coyotes in a row.  On 300 acres, you may only have 2 - 3 good locations needing 1-3 traps/per location.  You could also have 10 locations.  I have 1 farm that is 250 acres, but it is a "connector" between big blocks.  I set 18-20 on that farm since there are some many travel corridors.   Another area gets 18-20 over a 20 sq mile area....