turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Avian-X LCD Turkey Decoys?

Started by double drops, February 08, 2023, 12:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

double drops

Just curious to see if anyone has used the turkey decoys from Avian X. I'm interested in either the LCD breeder hen or the lookout hen. If anyone has experience with either, please let me know what your results have been.

Teamblue

I had a pair including the breeder hen. Try as i may, i could not get the hens head to un-collapse. It had a permanent pinch in it. No amount of hot water and squeezing would fix it.  I contacted the manufacturer with my problem and never got a response. The pinch in the neck didn't matter to turkeys though. It just irritated me.  I gave the pair to my brother and bought from a different manufacturer. Ones that are made in the USA. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2eagles

I use them and like them because they bring turkeys close enough to shoot. You will be told that they leak air. Yeah, they do sometimes. Blow'm up and hunt all day. Mine don't leak enough to look bad or spook birds. You're hunting, not gonna dribble one like a basketball.

jhoward11

I've had Avian and DSD. Would prefer the DSD any day over Avian. I'm not saying Avian is a bad product. I just believe DSD looks better and like it was said in other post. I also had trouble with the heads. I have also took a cheaper decoy and put a realistic skin on it, and birds go right to it. I usually take a DSD Jake, Breeder, and my cheap wrapped feeder hen. May use 1 or all 3. Good luck with your choice.

RLAG

I've got the 1/2 strut Jake and hen combo. My Jake leaked so bad that I could blow it up at the beginning of a setup and 30 mins later would be about half inflated. They sent me new valve stems that didn't fix it. They did eventually warranty out the whole decoy which was nice.

Aside from one leaking, every bird that I've had see them reacted well on private. They are a bit heavy to carry around since they're thick rubber

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BDeal

I bought one last year and promptly returned it. The air leaked as fast as you could fill it up and it was heavy. It looked ok but was a piece of junk IMO.

guesswho

I'm not a decoy person so I don't have any experience with the ones you mentioned.  But if I were to use them I'd probably shy away from the lookout hen and go with a feeder or breeder.   That lookout pose looks like it could generate more negative reactions than positive. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Wigsplitter

They are good decoys - might leak some be prepared but goop or silicone will seal that up - I hardly ever deflated mine during the course of a year- even without full air they still will work -I don't use mine much occasionally on a field setup - I'd go avain or dsd you be set for awhile- lookout is what I have never had an issue with birds being Leary - most tried to fight it or breed it .....

nativeks

Ive got the Avian X upright hen. Ive also got a DSD feeder hen, and a dakota jake. Out of all 3 I prefer the DSD. The Avian X would be my #2. I havent had the leaking issues myself. I never deflate mine in season so it and the DSD are about the same size for carrying. Get what makes you happy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Tom007

I only use decoys if it is raining pretty good, I'll set up on a power line/open area. I too had the Avian 1/2 Strut Jake/hen combo. They worked real well, every gobbler that saw them ended up having a real bad day. I gave them to a buddy, they were too cumbersome to carry around. I replaced them with the Primos Photoform Jake/ Hen combo. Super light, realistic, collapsible to fit in vest, and never had a bird shy away from them. Like I said, this is my stormy day set-up, the turkeys on my properties hang out in the fields in the heavy rain.....

MK M GOBL

The only thing I can tell you from the business end of sales on the LCD is they leak; we have had so many returned in the early years we quit doing it and customer was told they were a warranty issue with the MFG and need to contact them. They have never fixed the issue, even right out the box new ones still leak... those we do replace, but after 30 days its back on the MFG. The only fix I have seen Avain-X make is their HDR "Hardbody" decoys.

For me if I am going to drop that cash on a decoy it's going to be a DSD.

MK M GOBL

jordanz7935

As usual the DSD guys drag the avian x through the dirt..... I've got an original avian-x upright hen that has seen literal truckloads of gobblers die over the years.... shes borderline sentimental. The original style hen has held air since day 1, 12 or 13 years ago, and paint has held up well but she's starting to show her age... new style avian x hen had leak around stake hole on day 1, easy fix with aquaseal...avianx Jake has been a great decoy also.... nothing against dsd, great decoys no doubt! But I can promise you the dsds don't work any better than an avian x... if they did I'd be using dsd. Also, in my experience, regardless of brand, the outlook/upright hen trumps all other styles of hen decoys hands down. My experience has been the exact opposite of gesswho suggestion. Just my experience.As a disclaimer I don't sell decoys and sure as heck ain't sponsored by a decoy company, but my $ depends on my gear and those avian-x do the job. Just bought another original avianx upright hen on ebay few days ago.

Ranman

I've been using the Avian X for 5-6 years with no problems. Yeah, the neck looks a little funny to me, but not to the gobblers. Mine has not leaked at all, and I leave it inflated all of time. Carry it in the provided bag. It is a little bulky to haul around, but it's worth the effort.

jhoward11

jordanz, he ask a simple question about the decoy. Not a pissing match between Avian and DSD. Also, the only sponsor I have is my wife. Avian is a good product, but seems they have a lot of issues with leaking decoys or in several cases heads not staying upright. Not everyone has those problems, but there are multiple post throughout this site that have these claims, so I don't think it's dragging another product through the mud. Make a better product! But on the other side, "if I did drag it through the mud, it might seal up those pesky leaks".

jordanz7935

Quote from: jhoward11 on February 10, 2023, 08:33:11 AM
jordanz, he ask a simple question about the decoy. Not a pissing match between Avian and DSD. Also, the only sponsor I have is my wife. Avian is a good product, but seems they have a lot of issues with leaking decoys or in several cases heads not staying upright. Not everyone has those problems, but there are multiple post throughout this site that have these claims, so I don't think it's dragging another product through the mud. Make a better product! But on the other side, "if I did drag it through the mud, it might seal up those pesky leaks".
I'm sorry i offended you! Giving my honest review is all. Nothing against DSD, they are great quality decoys no doubt. I'd buy a dsd over the new hard body Avian x decoys any day. And just so you know there's a guy in bed with dsd commenting on this very thread!  Take a pro staffers review like a grain of salt is what I'm getting at! The O.P. of this thread never mentioned DSD, but here we are ????