OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Toughest state  (Read 61991 times)

Offline willy8457

Re: Toughest state
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 10:49:47 AM »
I think that would depend on weather you are hunting puclic land or private no matter where you hunt. I know that here in Pa , hunting on private land compared to hunting public two weeks in to the season is a whole different ball game.

Offline neal

• Double Beard
  • Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff and striker builder
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 12:26:48 PM »
Alaska...hands down!   ;)

Dangit..I thought I had that one in the bag!  :TooFunny:
:agreed:
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

hobbes

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 12:28:52 PM »
TRKYHTR, I'm glad someone on this site has given the Merriam's a little credit.  I was beginning to feel inadequate. ;D

Also, I'm glad to see that someone besides myself has had difficulty in AL.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 02:23:52 PM by hobbes »

Offline hunter22

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 02:09:26 PM »
Our bird population is so low here in northeast Arkansas the hunting is really tough. You cannot kill a bird where there are none. That being said, public birds in Mississippi are also tough after they have been hunted a couple weeks.

Offline mmusso

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
Public land in Alabama wins hands down.

I live in AL and hunt both public and club land in SW AL. I've also hunted several other states as well, and my vote also goes to public land birds here. It makes it VERY rewarding when you work a bird, let alone kill one. They get pressured hard and you have to deal with a ton of idiots calling from the road. It's almost as bad as the slamming doors locator call. Just my 2 cents...

Offline dirtnap

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »
South Carolina public land.  I have only hunted 3 states but they were easy compared to government birds in SC.

Offline YELPA

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 04:12:01 PM »
Our birds will make you better and keep your ego in check. 
That said, I hunted a block of public land in Illinois this past year and they put me through the grinder for 3.5 days before I hit pay dirt.  Plus the dang buffalo gnats.  My gloves and face mask still smell like vanilla. 

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 05:03:53 PM »
I hunt only..Pa. NY and Nj....Pa.would be my toughest state.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 11:04:31 PM »
I've hunted CA, OR, ID, CO, NM, AZ, TX, MO, KY, SC, AL, MS, FL. I would have to say that NM Merriams on public land the second week of the season was the hardest. When Gobblnut gets done whacking turkeys theres not many dumb ones left. I did happen to score on a small 2 year old but they kicked our butts for 4 days.

TRKYHTR

Yeah, Joe, that was a tough season, buddy.  I've never seen the birds as hard to kill as they were the year that you, Joey, and Catdaddy came down.  When a turkey slayer and master caller like Joe Slaton has a hard time with the birds, you know they gotta be tough!

Jim

Offline savduck

• Limbhanger
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 12:32:38 AM »
I heard some places in bama are tough. As well as georgia.  But I don't hear of many guys coming to SC and getting done very easily.  

I do. Kill them regularly in SC on public land. Same with GA. Havent hunted many states, but killed birds in all of them. GA, SC, WV, NC, and KY. Actually the place that haunted me was my private hunting club in GA. We had it for close to 30 years, of which I turkey hunted for about 10. I called in a dozen birds for others, but never killed one for myself, They always seemed to be hung up or across the property.  Guess I should have hunted by myself more.

Talking to some old timers......Alabama seems to have the reputation.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:36:24 AM by savduck »
Georgia Boy

Offline headcrusher

• Hook's Custom Calls
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 07:06:25 AM »
Foi me it would be Alabama! 

Offline oatsj

• Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
C.a.s.h. ,Hardcore and myself have told you all that there is no turkeys in Alabama.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
C.a.s.h. ,Hardcore and myself have told you all that there is no turkeys in Alabama.
You can add me to that list too.  Thats why their so hard to hunt in Bama, ain't none!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline 870BkWht

• The Boss Gobbler
  • West Virginia
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 09:19:45 PM »
I call it a priviledge to work a bird no matter where he is.  I also dont think that Spring turkey hunting as a whole is "EASY".

Offline hunter177

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 02:49:31 PM »
Pennsylvania. I have to say my own state because it's the only state I've hunted turkeys in. I missed a gobbler back in 1990 and I've seen birds on our land and private land near us since then. I've seen them at deer and bear season. For one reason or another either I make a mistake or something happens that keeps me from using my tag. Oh well, maybe this year. Good luck everyone! :fud:
TriStar Viper G2 12 ga.
26" barrel, black synthetic stock
TruGlo Gobble Stopper Extreme .665 choke
Winchester DoubleX, 3", 1125 fps., 2 oz. #5 shot