OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you buy one of these calls?

Started by Paulmyr, January 25, 2023, 10:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Been dabbling in box call making. I have these 4 done up. Walnut/Aspen and all Walnut. Would you buy one of these calls. Why or why not? Here's some sound files of 2 of the calls.

Walnut/ Aspen;
https://youtube.com/shorts/-KPzqnB9kNY?feature=share

Walnut;
https://youtube.com/shorts/LHlrNm5G7I8?feature=share
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

gaswamp

no.  The all walnut is best out of two.  Didn't like the aspen combo a bit.  keep at it and good luck

Paulmyr

Quote from: gaswamp on January 25, 2023, 11:05:18 AM
no.  The all walnut is best out of two.  Didn't like the aspen combo a bit.  keep at it and good luck
Any particular reasons?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

To some people if it's squawks they would buy the calls. But most season veterans would think twice before buy one of these in my opinion. But back in my early,early, early years of turkey hunting we were just glad to get our hands on something that squawks of some form. I'm not replying to degrade your calls or the building of your calls. I think you are on the right path and i would just encourage you to keep building and making improvements along the way. Everyone in the call business had to learn just like you in building and making improvements.. I watched one of the top pot call builders on Facebook this past week throw 60 walnut pot call blanks in the wood stove because they didn't make the cut. The reason he did this, he wanted to put the best call forward that he could to his buyers.  Again I command you for trying and i would keep moving forward in making improvements. Good Luck and keep building..

Yoder409

Possibly the aspen one if I were looking for a call to hunt.  I'd have to play it myself to gauge whether it fit my style of calling or not.  But, to me.......that's the better sound file of the two.  Much stronger roll-over the way you are playing them.

The criteria I have for making a call purchase are many.  And most times the FINAL cut is determined when the call is in my hands.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

mountainhunter1

Keep in mind, these are his very first builds ever. I can promise that everyone on here who likes a box will buy one from him after he makes about 100 more if his very first attempt on that walnut sounds that good (for a first attempt). I know several of the best builders in America today who had to build a pile of them to even get any kind of turkey sound out of it, and look where they are today - so Paulmyr may have the makings to be special. My thinking is this, I would buy his walnut and put it up and if he was to wins the Gibson award in ten to fifteen years, can you imagine what very first walnut call would be worth then?
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

ChesterCopperpot

I don't think they're there yet, but they're impressive for some really early attempts. Lids look really thick and square to me. I'm no callbuilder so take that for what it's worth. The fall off on the back end is nice, but the front end doesn't sound right. Keep at it and keep us posted. Neat to follow the development for those of us who couldn't build a bookshelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aclawrence

Just as far as aesthetics I think you should tweak the portion of the lid that you hold in your hand. It looks a lot thicker than normal and seems like it would effect the tone of the call. Congrats on your first calls. I'm going to get around to trying some at some point. I've got all the tools I need. I definitely wouldn't try to sell any until you think you've got it dialed in. Turkey guys will spend a ton of money but they're also pretty picky to.

deathfoot

I definitely agree with the others. First off..definitely a great first run on it and that says a lot. I have one that my grandpa built in the 70's and he was a great wood worker but the call itself will never see the woods again because it sounds terrible. I think yours will definitely call a bird in for sure but like the others have said, I encourage you to keep at it and get better.

I'm all about box calls. My weakness, I've bought a bunch of them for looks and the sound isn't great. So keep working at it. Keep posting the photos and we will keep it positive and honest with you. I will admit, for your first try's..great job.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: aclawrence on January 25, 2023, 12:38:17 PM
Just as far as aesthetics I think you should tweak the portion of the lid that you hold in your hand. It looks a lot thicker than normal and seems like it would effect the tone of the call. Congrats on your first calls. I'm going to get around to trying some at some point. I've got all the tools I need. I definitely wouldn't try to sell any until you think you've got it dialed in. Turkey guys will spend a ton of money but they're also pretty picky to.

It would definitely be worth taking a little wood out of the end part of the handle as you are suggesting just to see. It is easy to swap lids on the same box.

But looking at his boxes, I would taper the sides of the lid where they are out over the rails a good bit more. Most lids taper up - many to almost nothing on the edge and I want to see if that will help him to get more of a falloff at the end of the stroke and a more pronounced two note sound. I think that may also be contributing to the roughness that I hear as they are being ran. But the reality, as he builds another 25-50 boxes, they will get smooth as silk soon enough.

Amazing sound though for a first run and never having done it before. One of the best box call builders in the country told me that he went through enough wood to build himself a new shop before he ever got anything that sounded remotely close to a turkey. So, Paulmyr obviously has some talent that just needs a bit of time and refining.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Notsoyoungturk

I am a sucker for box calls.  They are not only turkey calls but musical instruments.  To build them is a challenge, to tune them is an art. I think they are a great first effort and certainly much better than I could do.  I do like the walnut much better.  Neil Cost said that for every 3 calls he made, only one went to a customer.  Keep the faith.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

ferocious calls

Kudos for making the effort. The walnut will call birds all day. Don't touch the paddle on the walnut and I'd like to do a trade if you like. PM me if interested. Love to trade.

Brillo

I am certainly not an experienced caller but I have been listening to hens and practicing on my box call ad nauseum lately.  I do not care for the aspen because the low end does not seem to match with the high end and it does not drop much.  Not bad looking but not pretty either.  The walnut matches and all sounds like a mature hen to me.  Fairly smooth drop through the notes.  Looks pretty good too. Appreciate ya bro.  Would I buy it?  I am a retired salesman.  I buy everything!

Zobo

I really think it is of the utmost importance to have a signature style. When I see a Watkins fiddlebox or a Fulkerson hen box, a Mann paddle, a Buckner trumpet, a Buice, a Sneed pot, Shanons pushpin etc. you get the idea—-they're immediately recognizable. I think that's so important. The sound quality is a must, you can't get anywhere without sound, that's a given. But you need to stand out in the crowd visually.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Paulmyr

Thank for the replies guys. I must admit, I rushed myself a bit in the making of these calls. I needed to get to the tuning part to see if it could be done. I really wasn't expecting them to turn out as well as they did sound wise.

Working on getting my next blanks ready. I'll be paying a little more attention to the details on this round. We'll see how it goes.