OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Appalachia Hunting

Started by northms, January 22, 2023, 02:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

This spring I'm planning an out of state trip to hunt birds in the Appalachian foothills/mountains. It'll be a change of pace from Mississippi albeit still hunting eastern birds. I've already chosen the area I'm going to and spoken to biologists etc and done my homework. No need to name where.

I didn't know if any members had any tips when it came to hunting the mountain birds or things to consider that I may not? I plan to get up high on ridges to listen each morning in theory. Thanks in advance.

CALLM2U

I'll throw out a few, I'm sure others will have more. 

- Judging distance of gobbles is harder in the mountains than the flatlands.  Just over the edge of a ridge or in the head of a hollow can fool you on distance.
- I've always had more success hunting above turkeys than below them.  Especially roosted birds.
- Climbing those mountains will wind you if you're not used to it.  It's worth doing some extra work to make sure you're in good shape
- Best of all, the sunrises in the Appalachians are some of the prettiest scenes you'll see in my opinion.  Enjoy it and take lots of pictures!

sswv

hunted these mountains all my life (lot's of years) and CALLM2U hit it on the head. Can't imagine a more awesome place to hunt birds in the spring.  If I can be of any help just shoot me a PM and I'll do what I can.

best afield

Kylongspur88

Hunted the mountains my whole life. Generally take the high ground or be on the same level as the bird. Birds tend to pitch into the hillside off the roost. If you bust one off the roost they'll glide off the hill and out of your life forever. Wear the most comfortable boots you own and take extra socks. Make sure to kick the leaves away before sitting down because a copperhead bite to the rear isn't any fun. If you're not familiar with navigating in terrain like Appalachia I'd recommend taking gps. Cell service is no guarantee. Depending on the area a side arm isn't  at a bad idea. There's some honest to god outlaws in the hills

northms

All good info. Thank you. I'll have OnX with off line maps and also a side arm I carry. I've still thought about carrying a bonafide gps unit but haven't bit the bullet on that.

I think one of the bigger differences will be what you all have talked about in getting on the same ridge system etc to one that's gobbling will be much more difficult than my usual hear bird and go to bird. Don't get me wrong, there's places here with serious terrain but it's not a mountain system. It'll be a new experience to potentially hear birds and have almost no way to get to the quickly and/level or above them quickly.

guesswho

Sitting down and staying put without sliding can be a challenge.  With your back against a tree a well placed limb placed cross ways in front of your butt can make staying in place a much easier task.  Another at your feet can also be beneficial.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Pack some warmer clothes. Spring comes a little later when you get into the 2500-3000' elevations in the spring. Not uncommon to see upper 20's to mid 30's early in the season.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Happy

Oh, and you might want to get used to hiking up and down small mountains. It's been my experience that up isn't so bad. Going down some pretty serious inclines can do a number on your legs if you're not used to it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

WV Flopper

Carry some water and snacks. Be a little patient, if your high on a ridge line don't drop down off at the first gobble you might hear.

If you can get there early to scout cover as many miles as you can and if it looks like there should be turkeys there, there probably is.

Light layers of clothing are best you don't want to break a sweat in the dark and freeze when you get to the top of a ridge. May take longer to cover a mile than in flat country.

I like flat country myself!

Other than things above not much different than any where else.

deathfoot

I've been hunting this Appalachia area my whole life. Love it. Like others have said..don't be surprised by some cold and or snow. Wind can be a major factor. The fog can be no joke.

I've called them across several ridges, creeks and a public road and never saw them within 30 yards. But that's Turkey hunting in general.

It's like turkey hunting anywhere else with a few more challenges.

Mountainburd

Lots of good advice given already. But as other said, birds like to roost off of flats on the sides of steep hills. They like big horizontal branches to roost. Be ready to hear a bird but have a lot of rough walking to get to him. Always try and stay above him and go from there. Pray for wet ground or it makes for a very difficult approach to a roost bird in mountainous and rocky terrain if the ground is dry. It can be very frustrating. Birds like old logging roads and shelves on steep ridges as strut zones. And I'm sure you already know this, but they will come down hill to you if they're hot enough. I've seen them run down hills that take all fours to climb.  Best of luck.

ChesterCopperpot

Where exactly are you going? As a region we're talking about a place that covers 205,000 square miles stretched over 13 states. I can talk pretty confidently about the mountains of North Carolina as that's the only place I've ever hunted, but I don't know the first thing about Pennsylvania.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Quote from: northms on January 22, 2023, 03:41:44 PMI'll have OnX with off line maps

Although it is not specific to this particular conversation, this ^ (or the equivalent in some form) is probably the most important piece of information provided here.  In the Appalachians or anywhere else where you are hunting unfamiliar, cut-up, mountain terrain (or any other), feeling comfortable about where you are at and how to get back to your vehicle may not help you kill a gobbler, but it will sure as heck make you feel a lot better about heading off towards a distant gobble and then being able to get back out.

Getting lost in unfamiliar country ain't no fun!  ...And when you are standing there listening to a gobbler that is a mile away and two ridges over, you don't want to be saying to yourself,..."maybe I shouldn't go to that one because I'm not sure I will be able to find my way back".  That is a thought you don't want to be contemplating,...and is one that is quite avoidable.

ScottTaulbee

I know here in Ky you're better off places that have parking areas low and hiking up the mountains. If you can drive up the mountains and hit fire trails it likely sees a lot of pressure from lazy hunters. You'll likely do better being above the bird and don't be afraid to call. Depending on the way a gobbler turns while gobbling you may or may not hear him. And don't be afraid to walk, I typically travel 7+ miles a morning but generally am coming back out with a bird or the intel to get one the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PalmettoRon

Lots of good advice here. I just got back from VA on a short hunt for Fall/Winter birds. Never got on them. Definitely start off a bit cold as you will heat up as you pull those mountains and then put on some clothes when you get to a set up.

Hiking sticks coupled with placing the sling across your neck can make a huge difference especially coming downhill as it's easy to fall.

If the leaves are dry as someone mentioned, you're gonna need to take an arc to get to a bird as it's just way too noisy otherwise.

If it's damp, it's easier to go at a bird, but those hiking sticks can really help out as it can be very slick.

Have fun!!!