turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Bird recordings

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 21, 2023, 03:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

It's 3am and I'm laying here listening to old Lovett Williams recordings and it got me wondering why there's no one doing that anymore? With the advances in recording equipment and audio you'd think someone would be doing some extended recording. Sure would like to have some new ones to listen to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Most just watch youtube videos now. I have several different recordings, all of Mr. Williams that are available on CD, as well as the Spittin' Feathers series that are wonderful to listen to. I like the more scientific method used on the CD's as opposed to random guys on Youtube myself, really helps me with my cadence. Darn CD player in the truck died, now I can't listen to them going down the road anymore.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Mountainburd

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Mountainburd on January 21, 2023, 06:56:40 AM
Denny Gulvas still is.
His are still all DVDs, right?

Zobo

Is Williams recordings just turkeys? I'd give my left arm for an online resource of live turkey recordings—hear's the thing, WITH NO human interaction, no callers or calling back. Just pure turkeys. Suggestions appreciated, I'm not too internet savvy.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Zobo on January 21, 2023, 10:37:17 AM
Is Williams recordings just turkeys? I'd give my left arm for an online resource of live turkey recordings—hear's the thing, WITH NO human interaction, no callers or calling back. Just pure turkeys. Suggestions appreciated, I'm not too internet savvy.
Yes, broken with commentary of him explaining what you're hearing. But, yes, all turkeys.

Mountainburd

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 21, 2023, 08:22:32 AM
Quote from: Mountainburd on January 21, 2023, 06:56:40 AM
Denny Gulvas still is.
His are still all DVDs, right?

I'm not sure. I listened to a podcast with him earlier in the year, and he said he still records turkeys year around. Those Audio files have to be somewhere. I would think it's in a digital form somewhere.

Paulmyr

Quote from: Zobo on January 21, 2023, 10:37:17 AM

Denny Gulvas does a good job of not interacting with them. He likes to get in close to roosts, set up microphones, and wait.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

I watched 2 video's today of some awesome gobbler / hens and just hen sounds ... If you get chance check out these 2 video's on Youtube ... GrowingDeer.tv and watch Real Turkey Gobbles,Clucks, Purs for Turkey Calling Practice @ GrowingDeer.tv and also watch Barry Julius - Hen Turkey calling

mcw3734

Last March I wrote to the Lovett Williams/Real Turkey's web page asking if the recordings were going to be made available in downloadable files. Because I, too, do not have a CD or DVD recorder. And it would just be great to listen to them on your smartphone.

I can't find the response email for some reason, but I distinctly remember getting a reply (from his daughter?) saying something to the effect that 'we know there's a demand for that, we're working on it, expect to have that out soon'. But, looking at the website now, I still only see recordings available in CD or DVD.

I'll reach out again and see if there is an update.

silvestris

I converted a lot of my turkey recordings/purchases to mp3.  Real handy.  Now if I only had the time to listen to them.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

3bailey3

Sil I did enjoy that one you post back in the day on the ole Ms forum..

mcw3734

Well, it took Heather Williams all of 30 minutes to reply. Regarding making Lovett's audio files downloadable:

"I'm working on that. Should not be much longer."

So... maybe soon?

GobbleNut

I have a number of those old cassettes from Williams and others stuck in a corner around the house somewhere.  Same with the old VHS tapes and such. 

I agree that they are valuable in learning generally how turkeys communicate, but here is my fundamental take on most of them.  Anybody that listens to them will very quickly find out that turkey voices and the sounds they make vary just about as much as us human's voices vary. 

Experienced hunters, over time, learn to sort that out and hone-in on the commonalities of those turkey sounds.  However, for new hunters, some of those recordings can be very confusing as to what sounds to try to reproduce with their calls. 

silvestris

Quote from: 3bailey3 on January 21, 2023, 10:15:42 PM
Sil I did enjoy that one you post back in the day on the ole Ms forum..

Bailey, I wonder which one that was.  How are you?
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game