turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Why do you turkey hunt?

Started by ScottTaulbee, January 06, 2023, 12:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Flopper

My story is just like so many already written here.

Just like many of you I hunt turkeys because I have too.

At the beginning it was the mystic of it, the grandeur of the kill. So few "Turkey" hunters in the area and an abundance of turkey. Only season in to hunt and just some stocked trout for a teenager to beat up. Why not...

Over the years it evolved to a lot of different things that MAKE me hunt. Still today it is the mystic, the coming to life of the new season, the first sounds of a morning, the interactions with the turkey himself. Being able to discover and enjoy new environments, new people too. Some of them are not so enjoyable!!!

Today, I really only hunt turkeys with any drive. I am not a deer hunter, I do participate, but that is all it amounts too. I once and a while will shoot a deer for some awesome meat.  I like to squirrel hunt and rabbit hunt some, but none are as important to me. Turkey hunting is where it is at for me.

Today I am lucking, the only real thing that stops me is the worse four letter word I know, "WORK". Weather does play into my hunting as I am getting soft and just don't like the pouring rain or 40+ mile an hour winds so much. I am fortunate enough I can just pick another day to hunt.

I have been scouting for a SODAK, WYO, Montana combined trip now for 2 or 3 years, hopefully this spring I will make it happen.

For all the people out there that is against travel hunting: You know what's better than Spring Turkey opening day? Multiple opening days! Every day in a new state in like opening day to me.

Good luck to all this spring and hopefully to you that have not fallen ill to this hunt yet, you do not get bitten to hard that you are truly infected with this disease.

kennedyh1990

I need it like an addict would need a drug. That gobble awakens a feeling deep in my soul that is inexplainable to anyone who doesn't get it. I honestly can't put it into words that would do it justice. I can't not turkey hunt....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeybutt

I turkey hunt because it's a chess game of sorts. He gobbles and lets me know where he's at. I respond to let him know where I am at, and the game begins. He moves, I counter as we are both thinking, plotting, calculating our next move knowing each move you or he makes has varying levels of impact on the final outcome.
We each have a plan in our head on how we want this to play out. I'm sure we both are continually analyzing our situation knowing full well some moves can often catch you by surprise.
Sometimes he wins, sometimes I win.  Then there are times I'm sure we are both left scratching our heads wondering what the heck just happened!
I turkey hunt because I love the game!

Beards and Hooks

I do it because, I'm addicted to the gobble.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

jhoward11

It's where I go to relax. No worries, no stress. To sit in the darkness with a deafness quite. To see the sky come alive through the tree tops. To hear the woods wake up with the sounds of the birds. To hear that amazing gobble in the distance. To know that one man made all this possible. Thank you lord for the blessings.

Treerooster

Spring turkey hunting is a great excuse to be in the spring woods and all it entails, especially at dawn & dusk (the best times of day IMO).

But one thing I love the most is the calling and communicating with turkeys. The interaction is just so much more than with any other species I can think of.

Paulmyr

Hope springs eternal with turkey hunting. There's alway's the next call, the next ridge, the next spot. Just wait til tomorrow mourning, til I get my new box, til the hens get bred up! There's always something to look forward too.

The outdoors is like my church. It puts me at ease. Turkey hunting is the pinnacle so to speak. It makes my heart happy!!!!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tom Threetoes

jordanz7935

Bowguy

I've never even thought about why I turkey hunt, bowhunt, fish, etc. It's just what I do and all I want to do. Always been that way.
To put it differently, guys like watching racing, enjoy skiing, hockey, etc why? No thoughts gotta go into it just what we do. The only positive is no one is nagging you out there. That being said it's great you listened to your daughter. Gotta give her time she likes and it's awesome she's willing to sacrifice for you as well. You're blessed brother

Cut N Run

I love the intensity of it.  If the hairs on the back of your neck don't stand up when a gobbler is approaching, you need to go take up golf or something.  It doesn't matter if it's freezing cold with no leaves on the trees or blazing hot with barely a breeze in the woods, I want to be there if there's a possibility of interaction with a grown gobbler.  I love it, I'm obsessed by it, and I've got to have it.  I don't need to kill a gobbler to have a great day turkey hunting either.  Being there soothes my soul.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Spitten and drummen

To simply put it...because I have to.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Wigsplitter

Nothing gets me as excited as a gobbler approaching from the time I see him until I kill him or he beats me -period . That interaction is what it's about for me - trying to outsmart and outpatient a gobbler!!!

Jbird22

I didn't choose turkey hunting, turkey hunting chose me.

RMP

It's a lot easier getting a dead bird a mile or more out of the woods than a dead deer.